Second update: Rivers-to-Clippers still on hold

Second update: Rivers-to-Clippers still on hold
June 23, 2013, 4:00 pm
Share This Post

WATCH

There is no data to display.

SECOND UPDATE, 6:01 P.M.: Contrary to what was reported earlier, the NBA has not yet approved the deal and the press conference to announce the agreement has been canceled. According to A. Sherrod Blakley, the Clippers are still working through the details on Doc Rivers' new contract.

BOSTON -- With some added urging from free agent-to-be Chris Paul, the Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers have come to terms on a deal that will allow Doc Rivers to coach the Clippers.

CSNNE.com has learned that the Celtics, pending league approval, will receive an unprotected first-round pick in the 2015 draft as compensation for allowing Rivers out of his contract with the Celtics that had three years and $21 million remaining.

Rivers' new deal will be a three-year pact equal to the $21 million he would have earned from the Celtics, sources said.

The negotiations between Boston and the Clippers had died down, only to be rekindled Sunday when Paul, who will become a free agent next month, once again encouraged the Clippers to make one more push to bring Rivers to Tinseltown.

Boston's asking price to release Rivers from his contract has been a first-round pick, something the Clippers seemed unwilling to do for some time.

Two NBA sources said the Clippers were mulling over the weekend whether to offer the Celtics a protected pick in the 2015 draft as compensation for freeing up Rivers.

The Celtics had been holding out for a first-round pick, preferably in next year's draft which is expected to be among the most star-studded since the 2003 draft which produced superstars like LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade.