Celtics have preliminary discussions on Daniels buy-out

607218.jpg

Celtics have preliminary discussions on Daniels buy-out

ATLANTA The Boston Celtics plan to add a big man to their roster by the end of the week, which means someone on the current roster has to be waived or agree to a buy-out to create a roster spot.

One of the prime candidates for such a move is Marquis Daniels.

His agent Mark Bartelstein tells CSNNE.com that there have been preliminary discussions about buying out Daniels' contract.

"He loves it in Boston and would love to be back in the regular playing rotation," Bartelstein said. "But if that can't happen, then we may look and see if there's a better situation, playing-wise, for Marquis."

Daniels began the season as one of the first players off the Celtics bench. But a series of games in which he struggled with his shot, led to Sasha Pavlovic getting most of his minutes.

However, the 6-foot-6 Daniels saw significant action in Boston's 98-91 loss at Denver, and responded with eight points on 3-for-5 shooting. The eight points scored was just two less than he had scored in the entire month.

With Chris Wilcox out for the season with a heart condition, and Jermaine O'Neal (wrist) expected to have season-ending wrist surgery, Boston has become extremely thin in the frontcourt.

One of the C's few big men still around, Greg Stiesma, has a sore right foot injury and will be limited tonight against Atlanta.

C's coach Doc Rivers said the team is "close" to adding another big man, and has told CSNNE.com that the hold-up is that there a couple of players they have interest in that are not yet available.

One of those players is believed to be Ronny Turiaf, who is also a client of Bartelstein.

He declined to comment on Turiaf's interest in the Celtics because the 6-foot-10 forward won't clear waivers - and thus become a free agent - until Wednesday. Boston also has some interest in New Orleans center Chris Kaman and Dallas' Lamar Odom if either gets a buy-out from their respective teams.

Red Sox recall infielder Mike Miller, ship Cuevas back to PawSox

red-sox-mike-miller-062716.jpg

Red Sox recall infielder Mike Miller, ship Cuevas back to PawSox

The Red Sox made another pitcher-for-infielder roster swap today, sending William Cuevas back to Pawtucket and bringing up Mike Miller as his replacement.

The Sox had summoned Cuevas from the PawSox over the weekend when they ran through their bullpen in Friday night's come-from-behind victory over Texas and he pitched twice against the Rangers, holding them to two hits over 2 2/3 scoreless innings on Saturday and Sunday. Deven Marrero had been shipped out when Cuevas arrived, leaving the Sox with only one backup infielder (Marco Hernandez).

Now they have two again, with Miller making his first trip to the major leagues. He's been primarily a second baseman for Pawtucket, though he's also seen action at short and third. Miller -- the team's ninth-round selection in the 2012 draft -- had a combined .251 average in 46 games for the PawSox and six games for Double-A Portland.

However, his stay with the Red Sox will likely be as short as Cuevas'. Brock Holt may soon be ready for reactivation, after having missed more than a month because of a concussion, and he could take Miller's roster spot when he returns.

PFT: NFL plans to interview Manning about Al Jazeera PED allegations

broncos-peyton-manning-012016.jpg

PFT: NFL plans to interview Manning about Al Jazeera PED allegations

Peyton Manning is retired, but that doesn't mean he's exempt from the interviews that the NFL plans to conduct as it looks into the allegations made by Al Jazeera's December PED documentary. 

It was reported last week by USA Today that the league's senior vice president of labor policy and league affairs Adolpho Birch informed the NFLPA that players named in Al Jazeera's report would be interviewed in July. 

Among those scheduled to be interviewed are Packers linebackers Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews and Steelers linebacker James Harrison. Former Packers linebacker Mike Neal will also be interviewed.

(Harrison has taken issue with the league's request, and said on social media that he would only meet with the league if commissioner Roger Goodell showed up to his home.)

Manning was not mentioned in the letter obtained by USA Today detailing the league's interview plans, but Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk followed up on Monday to see if the NFL intended to speak with Manning. It does.

The former Broncos and Colts quarterback has been very vocal about just how strongly he denies Al Jazeera's claim that his wife, Ashley, received HGH for his use. Despite the fact that he's no longer playing, it will come as no surprise if, given his stance, Manning cooperates fully with the league as it seeks more information regarding the report. 

As Florio points out, if Manning hopes to return to the NFL at some point as an executive -- as many believe he will -- this is something he'll want to put to bed beforehand. That process will start with an interview. 

Bogaerts hitting at a record-setting pace

bogaerts-ichiro-boggs.jpg

Bogaerts hitting at a record-setting pace

A change of scenery is a must for the Red Sox after the rough series in Texas, where they were lucky to walk away with one win.

The pitching staff's struggles were the most apparent, but Xander Bogaerts had arguably his worst series of the season -- 2-for-12 at the plate and two errors in the field.

Although Bogaerts now finds himself three points behind José Altuve (.347) for the American League batting lead, he still leads the major leagues with 108 hits. He has more hits than Daniel Murphy, who’s at .349 in the National League.

And despite his weekend struggles, the Boston shortstop is in position to make a run at history  -- the single-season hits record.

Bogaerts is already in a comfortable spot to break Wade Boggs’ Red Sox record of 240 hits, set in 1985. Through 74 games, Bogaerts has 10 more hits than the Hall-of-Famer had at that point in the season.

He's also ahead of the pace set in 2004 by Ichiro Suzuki, who established the MLB record for most hits in a season with 262 that year. Bogarts has five more hits than Ichiro had through 74 games.

There's no guarantee he'll reach 262, or anything close. Ichiro had a strong finishing kick in '04, batting .418 with 159 hits after his 74th game. In fact, in his final 74 games, he hit .433 with 141 hits. He's left challengers in the dust before: Altuve was equal to Ichiro's pace in 2014 -- both had 105 hits in their first 76 games -- but wound up with "only" 225 hits.

So, admittedly, Bogaerts is facing an uphill battle.

He does have a one advantage over Ichiro, though. In 2004, Suzuki -- still playing for the Mariners -- usually had Randy Winn hitting behind him. Although Winn was a respectable player, he doesn’t command the respect of the hitter who's usually behind Bogaerts: David Ortiz.

Opposing pitchers still don’t plan to attack Bogaerts, but it’d only be worse if pretty much anyone other than Ortiz was coming up next.

And there’s one last set of statistics to consider:

Suzuki finished 2004 with 80 games in which he had at least two hits. That’s 49.7 percent of the games he played in.

Bogaerts has done that 33 times -- 44.6 percent of his games. So he needs to string together some big games if he intends to make an improbable run at the 12-year-old record.

Improbable, yes.

But definitely not impossible.