Ainge: Celtics likely to stay at 6 and 17

Ainge: Celtics likely to stay at 6 and 17
June 26, 2014, 6:45 pm
Share This Post
(AP Photo)

BOSTON -- Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck predicted that there would be "fireworks" this offseason, but it doesn't appear as though those will be lit on draft night.  

Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge met with reporters before Thursday's NBA Draft and explained that he felt like the most likely scenario that would play out is that the team simply uses its picks at No. 6 and No. 17. 
 
No trade for a veteran star like Kevin Love. No trade up to the No. 1 pick to select Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. The Celtics are sticking to their guns, it seems. 
 
For now at least.
 
"There's been a lot of conversation over the last month," Ainge said. "A lot of discussions regarding trading of the picks. Trading up, trading back, trading for players. Big deals, little deals. We're ready for some different scenarios but just like all trade deadlines, the draft really isn't a deadline, but it is a time where you've got to make a decision to take the pick or trade it. Probably it looks like most likely that we'll keep it."
 
Ainge said that just because the team may use its two first rounders doesn't necessarily mean that the rebuilding process will be longer than the team had hoped. He did explain, however, that the Celtics have tried to swing some trades that would make them immediate contenders. But none of those have materialized at this point.
 
"I think our initial goal when the season ended was to try to expedite a rebuilding process," Ainge said. "I don't think by taking No. 6 and 17 that that has ended. We've always been comfortable with No. 6 and 17 and knew that was the most likely scenario. But you can't rush something that's not there. We'll take that first step tonight and continue to throughout the summer and see what opportunities are there. We'll try to remain opportunistic."