A week after leaving the Guangdong Southern Tigers of China, forward Terrence Williams has signed a 10-day contract with the Boston Celtics. Williams, 25, entered the NBA in 2009 and has been looking to establish himself in the league since then. Get to know Williams with these 15 factoids.
1. The 6-6 wingman is from a close-knit circle of Seattle-area basketball players, which includes current Celtics Avery Bradley and Jason Terry.
2. Williams attended Rainier Beach High School, the same school as former Celtic Nate Robinson, Jamal Crawford, and Doug Christie.
3. A standout at the University of Louisville, Williams averaged 12.5 points, 8.6 rebounds, and 5.0 assists his senior year. He was featured on the cover of the Sports Illustrated 2009 NCAA Tournament preview issue.
4. The Nets selected Williams with the 11th overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft. His name was called after Brandon Jennings and before Gerald Henderson.
5. On October 28, 2009, Williams posted a 15-point, 10-rebound double-double in his NBA debut. He played 31 minutes off the bench against the Minnesota Timberwolves.
6. Williams' second season with the Nets was rocky. He was inactive for games and was also sent to the NBA Development League's Springfield Armor.
7. Williams was involved in a three-team trade between the New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets, and Los Angeles Lakers in 2010 that ended up having ties to the Celtics. In December of 2010, the Nets traded Williams to the Rockets. As part of the the same deal, the Lakers sent a 2011 first round draft pick to the Nets. Six months later, the Nets used that pick to select JaJuan Johnson 27th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, and then traded him to the Boston Celtics along with a future second round pick in exchange for MarShon Brooks.
8. The Celtics will be Williams' fifth NBA team. He has been a member of the Nets, Rockets, Sacramento Kings, and Detroit Pistons (chronologically). Williams has averaged 7.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 2.5 assists in 20.2 minutes during his NBA career.
9. This season Williams played 29 games for the Guangdong Southern Tigers of China. He averaged 17.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 4.1 assists in 27.0 minutes.
10. Williams competed in 140 games (4,510 minutes played) during his four years at Louisville. Since being drafted in 2009, he has played in 129 games (2,604 minutes) in the NBA.
11. Celtics guard Courtney Lee has already suited up with Williams. Lee and Williams were teammates with both the Nets and the Rockets.
12. While in college, Williams listed LeBron James as his favorite NBA player and the Miami Heat as his favorite NBA team on his Louisville player page. (If he could update that today, he probably would.)
13. Williams is featured in the online series "Poor Hungry Driven" about his life. He tattooed the abbreviation "PHD" on his arm (can you find it?).
14. Remember the phrase "wordaapp" Nate Robinson helped make popular while on the Celtics? Williams played a big part in it.
15. Social media savvy, Williams is on Twitter @TheRealTWill and Facebook.