Source: Pandolfo signed one-year deal with Bruins

982017.jpg

Source: Pandolfo signed one-year deal with Bruins

BOSTON -- After a month of skating and practicing with the team without a contract, the Bruins signed Jay Pandolfo to a one-year deal this week worth 600,000 according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Eyebrows were raised when Pandolfo traveled to Buffalo for his first road trip with the team last weekend, and it appeared something was imminent this week.

The 38-year-old former New Jersey Devils forward had been practicing with the Bruins on a professional tryout agreement since training camp, but things have progressed a bit since the Tim Thomas trade to the New York Islanders at the end of last week.

This has been the perfect situation for me. Im at home with my family and able to stay in shape while skating with the team, said Pandolfo, a Burlington native who lives in Winchester with his wife and kids. I wouldnt have done this if it were any other situation besides the one in Boston. The organization has been very up front with me about everything, and hopefully that leads to good things soon.

The Thomas deal freed up a contract for the Bruins, who will stand at 49 player contracts with the Pandolfo signing. (Each NHL team is held to a ceiling of 50 individual player contracts.)

The Bruins were hesitant to give up their organizational flexibility by signing Pandolfo to the organizations 50th player contract, but that was no longer an issue after jettisoning Thomas. Its unknown if Pandolfo will head down to Providence to play in a few AHL games if he clears waivers. He was placed on waivers Tuesday.

Pandolfo had three points in 62 games for the New York Islanders last season, and represents ideal forward depth. He's a player capable of playing a bottom-six role and killing penalties while also providing the leadership that comes along with winning a pair of Stanley Cup titles in Jersey.

"Everything is on track" with Bruins prospect Zboril

bruins-jakub-zboril.jpg

"Everything is on track" with Bruins prospect Zboril

Little more than a year after he was drafted in the middle of the first round by the Boston Bruins, some are whispering that 19-year-old Jakub Zboril isn’t going to live up to advanced billing. Clearly the Czech defenseman took a step back for the Saint John Sea Dogs after being taken 13th by the Bruins in last year’s draft, and dropped to six goals and 20 points in 50 games in the QMJHL while watching second round pick Jeremy Lauzon pass him by on the prospect hype chart.

Perhaps the more concerning thing have been the whispers about an erratic work ethic and bad habits in Zboril’s game, a couple of criticisms that haven’t exactly gone away since the Bruins signed him to a contract last summer following development camp. Bruins assistant general manager Scott Bradley was asked about those concerns with the young D-man as he heads into an important training camp with Boston this fall, and didn’t seem all that concerned about his first round pick being a “bust.”

“I think his offensive production was down, and that he struggled a little bit coming out of the gate” said Bradley of Zboril, who had 13 goals and 33 points in 44 games during his first season in the Quebec Major Junior League prior to getting drafted by Boston. “But he had a strong playoff. Everybody forgets that he’s a gritty guy, and a strong player that moves the puck. The thing that stands out about him are that his numbers are down from last year.

“But everything is on track with him. He’s going to come to camp and hopefully shines, and has a good year this year…patience.

“I think it’s great if the second rounders are on par with him: the [Brandon] Carlos and the [Jeremy] Lauzons. If you look at the whole of our draft last year you can’t rule out the first eight picks that they might play [in the NHL]. We’re excited. Donnie and I were at the Memorial Cup, and Lauzon raised our eyebrows every night that he played. You’d come away with a good feeling like this kid plays hard, plays the Bruins style, moves the puck and is tough. Obviously [you had to like] what Carlo did when he was brought in [to Providence] at the end. It just bodes well for what we have coming this year. Zboril and Lauzon are probably going back to junior, but Carlo is going to get a long look.”

The young Czech D-man is still at a point where his stock can still shoot higher than it’s ever been with a good showing at training camp, and a strong season for the Sea Dogs entering into his professional hockey career. But he can’t afford to go through another down season, or that talk of him being a first round bust is only going to get louder and stronger.

Morning Skate: Stamkos destined to wind up somewhere new

cp-morning-skate.jpg

Morning Skate: Stamkos destined to wind up somewhere new

Here are the links from all around the hockey world, and what I’m reading while happy to be back in the city of Boston.

*The Buffalo Sabres don’t sound happy about the accusations against Evander Kane that cropped up during NHL Draft weekend, why would they be?

*NHL teams can now start discussing free agents, exchanging ideas with them and start the chase up to July 1.

*PHT writer James O’Brien has the biggest winners in the 2016 NHL Draft. Here’s a shocker: the Bruins aren’t among them.

*A good piece from Alex Prewitt on the importance of the land line phones on the draft floor during NHL Draft weekend.

*The Edmonton Oilers are another team that didn’t come out of draft weekend with a defenseman, and are still in search of their back end help.

*A nice piece on Philadelphia Flyers draft pick Pascal Laberge, who could have been plucked by the Bruins at No. 29 rather than Trent Frederic.

*Bruce Garrioch has his Sunday NHL notes, and says that Steven Stamkos appears destined to play somewhere other than Tampa Bay.

*For something completely different: Jonah Keri has TV critic Alan Sepinwall on his podcast, and one can only hope it’s to explain how and why he could have disliked last week’s episode of Game of Thrones.