Source: Horton not returning any time soon

577426.jpg

Source: Horton not returning any time soon

BOSTON -- Confirming what most had already suspected of Bostons fallen Game 7 playoff hero, its looking more and more like Nathan Horton might not be playing again for the Bruins this year.

A source close to the right winger told CSNNE.com that there have been no extensive organizational conversations about shutting down Horton as of yet, but the B's concussed power forward wont be returning anytime soon.

With six games left in the regular season after Tuesday nights tilt against the Tampa Bay Lightning, not much time is left for Horton attempt a comeback. And it doesnt appear he will be attempting that comeback soon.

They havent had those discussions yet, but its not too difficult to figure it out, the source said when asked if the Bs have reached a point where it makes sense to shut down Horton for the year.

If he misses the rest of the regular season, Horton will have missed 30 games with what was first termed a "mild" concussion. He was the victim of a Tom Sestito blindside hit to the head against the Flyers back on Jan. 22, eight months after Vancouver's Aaron Rome knocked Horton out of the Stanley Cup Finals with a head shot in Game 3.

It's difficult to envision Horton dropping back into the playoff-style pressure cooker after missing more than two full months and 30 games of the NHL regular season.

General manager Peter Chiarelli indicated shortly after the Horton's last concussion that the power forward would return at some point this season, but the Bruins have been much less firm in their statements as Hortons recovery has flattened out.

Bruins president Cam Neely wrote in an e-mail to CSNNE.com theres nothing to report when asked about potentially shutting down Horton for the season.

Horton reached the point where he was ready to get on the ice back in February, but he suffered a setback when he tried to skate. Horton hasnt attempted to get back out on the ice since then, but he has been working out on his own over the last few weeks.

OFFSEASON

O.J. Mayo hit with two-year ban from NBA for drug violation

o.j.-mayo-milwaukee-bucks.jpg

O.J. Mayo hit with two-year ban from NBA for drug violation

NEW YORK  — O.J. Mayo has been dismissed and disqualified from the NBA for violating the terms of the league’s anti-drug program.

The NBA said Friday the No. 3 overall pick in the 2008 draft out of USC is eligible to apply for reinstatement in two years.

Mayo spent the past three seasons with the Milwaukee Bucks. He averaged 7.8 points in 41 games last season, including 24 starts.

According to rules of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program, information regarding the testing or treatment of a player can’t be disclosed by the league, his team or the union.

© 2016 by Associated Press

Here’s the official release from the NBA: 

NEW YORK, July 1, 2016 – The NBA announced today that free agent O.J. Mayo has been dismissed and disqualified from the league for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program.

Under the Anti-Drug Program, Mayo is eligible to apply for reinstatement in two years.

The NBA, NBA teams, and the Players Association are prohibited from publicly disclosing information regarding the testing or treatment of any NBA player under the Anti-Drug Program, other than to announce a player's suspension or dismissal from the league.

 

Lucic heads to Edmonton with seven-year, $42M deal

los-angeles-kings-milan-lucic-20916.jpg

Lucic heads to Edmonton with seven-year, $42M deal

The Bruins had made a little noise about a Milan Lucic reunion last weekend at the draft.

Instead, Lucic, 28, will be reunited with former Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli, who now runs the Edmonton Oilers. The ex-Bruins forward agreed to a seven-year, $42 million contract with Edmonton on the opening day of NHL free agency, Lucic's agent, Gerry Johansson confirmed to the Associated Press.

Lucic, traded to the Los Angeles Kings in a draft night deal last year by the B’s, had  20 goals and 35 assists in his lone season in L.A. 

Report: NFL paid Goodell over $31 million in 2015

roger-goodell-thumbs-up.jpg

Report: NFL paid Goodell over $31 million in 2015

Roger Goodell's salary has reportedly fallen in recent years, but he's still paid handsomely for his work as NFL commissioner.

According to the Associated Press, Goodell earned just over $31 million for 2015. That's a seven percent decrease from the $34 million he received for 2014. 

The NFL's last tax return served as an indicator of Goodell's 2015 salary. The league's tax returns no longer have to be made public since it has changed its status from exempt to taxable, per the AP.

The next-highest paid executive at the NFL offices on Park Avenue? General counsel Jeff Pash, one of the most prominent players in the Deflategate sage, who earned $6.5 million in 2015, down from $7.5 million in 2014.