Second NHL offer still leaves Bruins in a tough spot

747879.jpg

Second NHL offer still leaves Bruins in a tough spot

File the latest NHL counter-offer in the pessimistically hopeful category.

The NHL and NHLPA met again in New York at the NHL offices on Tuesday afternoon, and Gary Bettman mapped out the leagues second effort. It was slightly different from the first offer, but it continues to turn back the clock on salaries, player rights and pretty much everything else.

The players percentage of Hockey Related Revenue would drop from its current 57 percent level to 51.7 percent in the first year of the proposed six-year deal, and would eventually drop to a 5050 split between the players and league in the last three years of a new CBA.

The salary cap for 2012-13 would drop from a planned 70 million cap ceiling next season to a projected 58 million, and 16 NHL teams would be over the cap heading into next year without any salary rollback or CBA adjustment. It would deflate the current cap ceiling to a level between the 2008-09 season (56.8 million) and 2009-10 (59.4 million), which clearly sounds like an improvement over the first league offer.

So what does this all mean for the Bruins?

They currently sit at 68.8 million worth of payroll designated for next season, and would be nearly 11 million over the salary cap if the current CBA proposal was accepted.

With Tyler Seguin, Brad Marchand, Nathan Horton, Milan Lucic, Andrew Ference and Tuukka Rask among others set to be free agents after this season, salary cap constraints would result in a painful fire sale for the Black and Gold roster prior to the start of the hockey season.

The current CBA would finally reach a salary cap ceiling of 71 million in 2017-18 during the final season of the six-year proposal, so essentially the NHL is hoping to turn back time by six years with their meaningful proposal, as Bettman called it.

The NHLPA will discuss the offer and theres something positive about the two sides continuing to discuss and negotiate. But it also appears the two sides are no closer to a new CBA than they were a month ago, and the NHL is less than a month away from beginning to cancel meaningful dates on its regular season schedule.

Sweeney on lack of B's deals: "I wasn't trading David Pastrnak"

don-sweeney-bruins-5-20-15.jpg

Sweeney on lack of B's deals: "I wasn't trading David Pastrnak"

BUFFALO – A year ago Don Sweeney traded away one of his talented young players for pennies on the dollar when he shipped Dougie Hamilton to Calgary for three draft picks, and it would appear he’s learned from that experience. While the Bruins general manager admitted he was desperately in search of some defensemen help this weekend, Sweeney said the prices were too high to get a deal done on Friday night at the First Niagara Center.

A source indicated to CSNNE.com earlier on Friday that All-Star defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk would end up with “the Bruins, Flyers or Rangers” this season, but it sure sounded like the St. Louis Blues were pricing themselves out of making any deals. According to Sweeney, other team’s managers were asking him to include both of his 2016 first round picks and more to swing a deal for a defenseman, and that young right wing David Pastrnak’s name kept coming up in these discussions.

That was far too steep an asking price in the rightful minds of Sweeney and Bruins management, so there were no defensemen that ended up getting moved on Friday night. Unfortunately, other NHL teams will keep asking about the emerging Pastrnak knowing full well that the Bruins are in a desperate position to repair their personnel on the back end. 

“In all honesty it would have taken both first rounders and then some…the acquisition cost was high. We want to continue to improve our hockey club with whatever we have to do, but it’s not unlike last year when it would have taken all three first rounders [to get a deal done]. There’s a balancing act there,” said Sweeney. “There was not a lot that moved around today. People have been laying foundation [for trades] for quite some time, but there are players that we’re just not comfortable putting into deals. I’m going to defend that. I’ll be honest with you that I just am.

“We’ve taken a position where we’re going to build this the right way. We want to be competitive and improve our team, and we’ll be active in the free agent market to fill holes while allowing our young players to push through. But I wasn’t trading David Pastrnak. We’ve been criticized, and rightfully so at times, for being impatient with our younger, skilled players. This represents a good opportunity that we don’t want to do that.”

Instead the Bruins selected Charlie McAvoy and Trent Frederic with the 14th and 29th overall picks in the first round, and they’ll start at the drawing board on Saturday while hoping to build toward a deal for a top-4 “transitional defenseman.” They’ll also do it knowing they made the right call in protecting the 14th pick where they selected a future transitional defenseman that will perhaps be a younger, cheaper version of Shattenkirk three years down the road. 

Joe Haggerty can be followed on Twitter: @HacksWithHaggs

Bruins select center Trent Frederic with 29th pick in 2016 NHL Draft

screen_shot_2016-06-24_at_11.10.21_pm.png

Bruins select center Trent Frederic with 29th pick in 2016 NHL Draft

BUFFALO – The Bruins went off the board to make their second choice in the first round, and selected big, gritty center Trent Frederic from the U.S. National Team Development Program.  Frederic was ranked 47th among North American skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau, and is ultimately viewed as a solid bottom-six two-way center with limited offensive ability.

A nice Bruins-style player to be sure, but also the kind of player that can easily be picked in the second, or third, round rather than with the 29thpick in the first round. It’s pretty clear the B’s were hoping to package up the 29th pick along with a prospect to acquire a top-4 defenseman, and that they didn’t have many designs on actually choosing a player.

That led to a surprised Frederic, who was happy to be a first round pick if not a little blown away by his good NHL fortune.

“I guess I was a little surprised. If you could hear my whole family's reaction then you get the gist of it,” said Frederic, who listed David Backes and Justin Abdelkader as the NHL players he most models his game after in his career. “They were pumped, and I am pumped. As a player I’m a two-way physical player that’s good with the puck.

“I’ve had some tournaments in Boston, and some family vacations there. I visited Boston University when I thought about going there, and I’ve been to Fenway Park and TD Garden. It’s one of my favorite cities.”

The Frederic pick might have been off the beaten path a bit, but it was a pretty special selection for a number of other reasons: Frederic was the record-setting 12th US-born player taken in the first round, and the fifth player taken in the 2016 first round from the St. Louis area. The Bruins have to hope that he develops into a more dangerous, effective player during his college hockey days at Wisconsin, and that he feels a little less like the Bruins reaching for players in the first round for the second draft in a row. 

Photo via Joe Haggerty

Charlie McAvoy tweeted he hates the Bruins 'so much' in 2013

screen_shot_2016-06-24_at_9.40.24_pm.png

Charlie McAvoy tweeted he hates the Bruins 'so much' in 2013

Tweet hunters dug up an old message from a Charlie McAvoy proclaiming his hatred for the Boston Bruins. McAvoy, of course, was drafted 14th by the Bruins in the 2016 NHL Draft.

The tweet read, "I hate the bruins so much" before it was quickly deleted.

I'm sure this will go over well for Bruins fans, even though you really can't blame McAvoy. He was just 15 at the time and a fan of the Rangers, who went down 3-0 in the playoffs against the Bruins.

As fans, we can all relate to that feeling.