Sabres rally with three goals in third, 4-2

996011.jpg

Sabres rally with three goals in third, 4-2

BUFFALO The Bruins probably should have been up by at least a couple of goals headed into the third period, and that ultimately did them in over the final 20 minutes.

Down by a goal entering the final period the Sabres scored a pair of unanswered goals and took a 4-2 win over the Bruins at the First Niagara Center, and handed Boston their second regulation loss of the season.

Tyler Myers tied the game up with a second-effort rebound goal that got things moving for a Buffalo team that was booed off the ice by their home fans at the end of the second period. Christian Ehrhoff slammed home the game-winner after a loose puck leaked out to him in the slot from behind the net to the slot area just beyond the outstretched reach of Rich Peverley.

The Bruins fell behind early as an Andrew Ference turnover behind the net turned into a Tyler Ennis-to-Drew Stafford connection just 3:24 into the first period. But the Bs used the power play to get it back at the end of the first period as a scramble in front turned into David Krejci feeding Dougie Hamilton in the high slot. The rookie defenseman hammered a puck into the open net for his first NHL goal and the score was tied at 1-1 apiece.

Hamilton became the first 19-year-old defenseman to score a goal for Boston since Jonathan Girard did it way back in 1999 in a Black and Gold uniform.

The Bruins dominated the Sabres to the tune of a 17-6 shot advantage in the second period and finally took a lead when a wide Hamilton point shot bounced off the end boards to Rich Peverley waiting in front. Peverley snapped the puck into the net for his second goal of the season and the Bruins had their slim lead.

Once the Sabres had the lead Cody Hodgson added to it with an insurance goal halfway through a third period dominated by Buffalo.

Former Bruins star Ray Bourque 'in unfamiliar territory'

bruins_ray_bourque_062516.jpg

Former Bruins star Ray Bourque 'in unfamiliar territory'

ANDOVER, Mass. — Former Boston Bruins star Ray Bourque, who's facing a drunken driving charge, says he accepts the responsibility of his actions.

Bourque was charged Friday night with operating under the influence of alcohol and following too closely. He posted bail and was released.

"For the first time in my life, I find myself in unfamiliar territory," Bourque said in a statement released Sunday. "I am not happy about the situation I put myself into."

Andover Police Chief Patrick Keefe said the 55-year-old Bourque was arrested about 11:30 p.m. after his Mercedes-Benz rear-ended a minivan in a construction zone in the city. No injuries were reported.

Bourque is to be arraigned in Lawrence District Court. Police haven't provided a date.

According to The Boston Globe, Bourque currently owns Tresca, a restaurant on Boston's North End.

'Everything is on track' with Bruins prospect Zboril

bruins-jakub-zboril.jpg

'Everything is on track' with Bruins prospect Zboril

Little more than a year after he was drafted in the middle of the first round by the Boston Bruins, some are whispering that 19-year-old Jakub Zboril isn’t going to live up to advanced billing. Clearly the Czech defenseman took a step back for the Saint John Sea Dogs after being taken 13th by the Bruins in last year’s draft, and dropped to six goals and 20 points in 50 games in the QMJHL while watching second round pick Jeremy Lauzon pass him by on the prospect hype chart.

Perhaps the more concerning thing have been the whispers about an erratic work ethic and bad habits in Zboril’s game, a couple of criticisms that haven’t exactly gone away since the Bruins signed him to a contract last summer following development camp. Bruins assistant general manager Scott Bradley was asked about those concerns with the young D-man as he heads into an important training camp with Boston this fall, and didn’t seem all that concerned about his first round pick being a “bust.”

“I think his offensive production was down, and that he struggled a little bit coming out of the gate” said Bradley of Zboril, who had 13 goals and 33 points in 44 games during his first season in the Quebec Major Junior League prior to getting drafted by Boston. “But he had a strong playoff. Everybody forgets that he’s a gritty guy, and a strong player that moves the puck. The thing that stands out about him are that his numbers are down from last year.

“But everything is on track with him. He’s going to come to camp and hopefully shines, and has a good year this year…patience.

“I think it’s great if the second rounders are on par with him: the [Brandon] Carlos and the [Jeremy] Lauzons. If you look at the whole of our draft last year you can’t rule out the first eight picks that they might play [in the NHL]. We’re excited. Donnie and I were at the Memorial Cup, and Lauzon raised our eyebrows every night that he played. You’d come away with a good feeling like this kid plays hard, plays the Bruins style, moves the puck and is tough. Obviously [you had to like] what Carlo did when he was brought in [to Providence] at the end. It just bodes well for what we have coming this year. Zboril and Lauzon are probably going back to junior, but Carlo is going to get a long look.”

The young Czech D-man is still at a point where his stock can still shoot higher than it’s ever been with a good showing at training camp, and a strong season for the Sea Dogs entering into his professional hockey career. But he can’t afford to go through another down season, or that talk of him being a first round bust is only going to get louder and stronger.