NHL cancels regular season games through Oct. 24

886153.jpg

NHL cancels regular season games through Oct. 24

The NHL made the announcement everybody sensed was coming, but it was disappointing nonetheless.

Without a collective bargaining agreement in place, the NHL announced that all regular season games through Oct. 24 have officially been cancelled as a result of the lockout.
It was 82 regular season games in all and basically included the first two weeks of the schedule. It wiped out the first six games of the Boston Bruins schedule including back-to-back games against the arch-rival Montreal Canadiens. The Bs regular season was set to start on the road against the Philadelphia Flyers on Oct. 11.

One piece of good news: league sources have indicated to CSNNE.com that the NHL can still compute an 82-game schedule as late as the first week of November, so there is still hope for a full NHL regular season schedule. But that hope is offset by the fact that the lockout has gone on for 20 days, and the NHLNHLPA have officially negotiated in only four of those days with no planned talks scheduled the rest of this week.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sent out a statement expressing his disappointment that its come to the second work stoppage in the last eight years, and the third during Gary Bettmans tenure as NHL commissioner.

"It was an extremely disappointing but necessary decision. There is simply not enough days left to open the regular season on time. We remain committed to continuing to work hard to try to figure something out that will result in the breakthrough we need to get this agreement done and behind us, said Daly in a prepared statement. But obviously, we haven't been able to do that yet. And for better or worse, we need a negotiating partner to make that happen."

The NHLPA had their own strongly-worded statement and threw the work stoppage at the feet of the NHL owners, and PA Executive Director Donald Fehr questioned just how strongly the NHL's Board of Governors loves the game while imposing lockout after lockout during CBA negotiations.

The decision to cancel the first two weeks of the NHL season is the unilateral choice of the NHL owners. If the owners truly cared about the game and the fans, they would lift the lockout and allow the season to begin on time while negotiations continue," said Fehr in a statement. "A lockout should be the last resort in bargaining, not the strategy of first resort. For nearly 20 years, the owners have elected to lock-out the players in an effort to secure massive concessions.

"Nevertheless, the players remain committed to playing hockey while the parties work to reach a deal that is fair for both sides. We hope we will soon have a willing negotiating partner.

Monday, Sept. 26: So what happens if Canada loses World Cup final?

cp-morning-skate.jpg

Monday, Sept. 26: So what happens if Canada loses World Cup final?

Here are all the links from around the hockey world, and what I’m reading while finding it hard to believe that it’s game day for the Boston Bruins. Summer is officially O-V-A.
 
-- The Montreal media is starting to get on board with this tougher, grittier version of the Habs, along with a healthy Carey Price.
 
-- Pierre McGuire sits in with Ottawa’s TSN sports radio station and talks Team Europe in the World Cup, as well as a number of other things.

-- FOH (Friend of Haggs) Mike Zeisberger is already openly wondering what would happen in Canada if they lose to Team Europe in the best-of-three final to the World Cup.

-- FOH (Friend of Haggs) Puck Daddy Greg Wyshynski asks Brad Marchand if a part of him has thought about playing with Sidney Crosby on the Penguins if he hits free agency. Bells, alarms and whistles should be going off on Causeway Street to give No. 63 whatever he wants at this point. In case you missed it, I talked about the danger of Crosby trying to woo his Nova Scotian buddy to Pittsburgh last week.
 
-- PHT writer James O’Brien says it sounds like the St. Louis Blues are going to play a more aggressive brand of hockey this season.
 
-- For something completely different: Forbes Magazine says Pete Carroll, not Bill Belichick, should be considered the NFL’s foremost cheater.
 

Carlo, Heinen and DeBrusk highlight young B's lineup for preseason opener

boston-bruins-brandon-carlo.jpg

Carlo, Heinen and DeBrusk highlight young B's lineup for preseason opener

The Bruins had already let it be known that Tuukka Rask, David Pastrnak and David Backes wouldn’t be playing Monday night in their preseason opener vs. the Blue Jackets. 

Instead, all three will participate in their first day of training camp practice on Monday morning, and the Bruins will ice a young, prospect-laden group against Columbus at TD Garden.

“[Camp] has been really good,” said assistant coach Jay Pandolfo. “There are a lot of new faces around here, so we’re just getting them to understand how we want to play. I think they did a good job with it and they should be ready to go [against Columbus].”

Here is the lineup of players expected to suit up for Boston’s preseason opener on Monday night: Brandon Carlo, Colby Cave, Peter Cehlarik, Austin Czarnik, Jake DeBrusk, Seth Griffith, Colton Hargrove, Jimmy Hayes, Danton Heinen, Anton Khudobin, Sean Kuraly, John-Michael Liles, Zane McIntyre, Kevan Miller, Joe Morrow, Peter Mueller, Riley Nash, Rob O’Gara, Tyler Randell and Jakub Zboril. 

Carlo, Cehlarik, Heinen and DeBrusk are all serious candidates to threaten for an NHL roster spot, and these preseason games will be a big test to see how roster ready they might actually be at their precocious young age.

The Bruins haven’t said when the first cuts of training camp are expected, but one round of early cuts are expected next week perhaps after Wednesday night’s preseason home game against the Detroit Red Wings.

“We’ll see how tomorrow night goes and then make a decision [on a lineup] for Wednesday, but I think we’ll try to give all the guys a pretty good look and go from there,” said Pandolfo.