* A look at some of the volatile stories awaiting the NHL once the regular season finally gets going.
* Phil Kessel is suspended for the last three preseason games for swinging his stick like Conan the Barbarian at John Scott. That sounds about right. I still don’t blame Kessel for two-hanging Scott when he came after him. That’s a no-no in most enforcer’s minds to go after a guy like that unprovoked.
* Former P-Bruins tough guy Brian McGrattan praises the Kevlar socks that protected him serious injury after a skate blade incident last weekend.
* Jay Rosehill tells (Friend of Haggs) Tim Panaccio that the “NHL code” is changing these days as the rules change along with it. Interesting take in light of the David Clarkson incident, and that would explain why there’s been a pair of 10-game suspensions for leaving the bench during the preseason.
* Cory Schneider has had himself a sterling preseason as he gets ready to share time with Martin Brodeur this year.
* David Clarkson’s 10-game suspension will certainly throw the Maple Leafs plans into turmoil for the first month of the season.
* For something completely different: Metallica playing “Enter Sandman” for Mariano Rivera at Yankee Stadium is pretty damned cool.