* Ryan Callahan says there is a slim chance that he’ll be ready to play in the New York Rangers opening game after shoulder surgery.
* Jason Spezza is named team captain for the Ottawa Senators in a move that was long expected after Daniel Alfredsson’s exit to Detroit.
* My vote for hockey’s best name (and the name of the next dog that I own) Aleksander Barkov is adjusting to life with the Florida Panthers.
* It sounds like the Philadelphia Flyers pursuit of Daniel Cleary has not put Simon Gagne in his happy place.
* The New England Hockey Journal has a player profile of Gregory Campbell, who continues to put time into recovering from a broken bone in his foot that was memorably suffered during last year’s playoff run.
* Marc-Andre Fleury is looking for a resurrection with the Pittsburgh Penguins, and it doesn’t look like it’s happening quite yet.
* A bevy of former No. 1 picks will be hitting the ice for the Buffalo Sabres in their first preseason game.
* For something completely different: Here's something about Wes Welker and Peyton Manning that is sure to infuriate all of the Patriots fans out there.