* A sit-down with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman as the league gets back on track this season.
* Good profile piece from ESPNNewYork.com writer Katie Strang on Florida Panthers new head coach Peter Horacheck, who has an unenviable task of turning that franchise around in front of him.
* Bill Hoppe has the story on a phone call from Pat Lafontaine to Ted Nolan that may have the Buffalo Sabres starting in a different direction.
* Brian Casanueve of Sports Illustrated says that the day of reckoning is coming for fighting in the NHL. I say that it’s still a long way off as nobody around the NHL wants it to happen. The only people calling for an abolition of fighting is the media, and a few scattered GMs around the league.
* Nick Foligno has been undergoing a harrowing, emotional last few months with a newborn baby daughter that required heart surgery at Children’s Hospital in Boston earlier this month.
* A good profile of new New Jersey Devils owner Josh Harris, who is looking to turn around both the Devils franchise and the Philadelphia 76ers.
* Buffalo goon John Scott vows to keep playing exactly the same way and calls Dion Phaneuf a “princess.” Yup, it sounds like that guy has learned his lesson.
*For something different: Good piece here from Charlie Pierce about the Listowel Races in Ireland.