Lucic, Shanahan to talk Monday; suspension looming?

576568.jpg

Lucic, Shanahan to talk Monday; suspension looming?

WILMINGTON, Mass. Milan Lucic will have another phone conversation with Brendan Shanahan, the NHL's vice-president of player safety, for an incident stemming from Saturdays bruising 6-0 win over the Philadelphia Flyers.
Lucic will talk with Shanahan Monday morning to discuss the events that led to him getting ejected, and he may be whacked with a suspension after skirting discipline following a controversial collision with Ryan Miller earlier this season.
Lucic was slapped with a five-minute, hitting-from-behind major and a game misconduct after blasting Flyers agitator Zac Rinaldo with a hit that probably looked worse on video than it was in reality. Rinaldo had taken runs at Nathan Horton and David Krejci earlier in that shift, and Lucic hit the Flyers forward as he worked the puck out of the corner.
But because this is Lucic's second incident of the year, he may not escape suspension this time. The Bruins will play the Canadiens Monday night, and the B's aren't sure when Shanahan's decision will be made.
I have no idea, said coach Claude Julien Sunday, when asked if Lucic would be available against the Habs. Theyll talk and they hang up, and then the decision comes later. I probably wont even know until the afternoon for all I know. Unfortunately I cant be in their heads.
The hit happened Saturday afternoon and you kind of wished it could have been done decision, but Id rather them take the time to do it right than rush into it and make the wrong decision.
Lucic doesn't believe he should be suspended.
"I looked at the video in slow motion and saw how it looked at the point of contact," said Lucic. "There were no numbers visible on the back of Rinaldo's jersey at the time of the hit and it was all shoulders. You could see Rinaldo's body rotating because I took him from the right side.
"NHL punishment is out of my control. I completely slowed up. If I directly hit him from behind, hit him in the numbers and buried him into the boards, I'd be the first one to say . . . there should be repercussions. Fortunately he wasn't injured on the play, and it looked okay to me on video."

Ortiz: If Brady's not playing, I won't be watching

tom-brady-david-ortiz-trophies.jpg

Ortiz: If Brady's not playing, I won't be watching

Tom Brady and David Ortiz have shared the spotlight in this region for more than a decade now as the faces of their respective franchises. They have a unique perspective on what it takes to the longevity that eludes most other athletes, and they know what it's like to be among the most recognizable faces in this part of the country. 

There seems to be a certain level of mutual respect between the two local stars, something that Ortiz made quite clear in an interview with SI.com. Asked about Brady and Deflategate, the Red Sox slugger pulled no punches. 

"I think it’s stupid, to be honest with you," Ortiz said. "Put it this way: You’re talking about the one player that everybody wants to watch play. We’re not just talking about any player. We’re talking about Tom Brady. If I turn on the TV on Sunday to watch a Patriots game and I know that Tom Brady is not playing, I would turn off the TV. I don’t want to watch that game."

Brady's four-game suspension was upheld by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals earlier this offseason, but the quarterback and the NFLPA recently filed a petition to request a rehearing. The Patriots organization submitted an amicus brief to the court last week that criticized the NFL's process and supported Brady's request to have his case heard once again.

Top Red Sox prospect Sam Travis out for year with torn ACL

sam-travis-red-sox-spring-training-3-17-2016.jpg

Top Red Sox prospect Sam Travis out for year with torn ACL

As good as things have gone for the Red Sox so far in 2016, their 2017 prospects took a bit of a blow over the weekend.

Sam Travis -- one of the organization's top prospects, and someone who opened a lot of eyes with an impressive spring-training showing this year -- suffered a torn ACL on Sunday while playing for the Pawtucket Red Sox and will be lost for the rest of the season. He was hurt while playing first base, collapsing as he chased down an opposition baserunner during a rundown play. He had to be helped off the field, and the extent of the injury was announced on Monday.

With David Ortiz retiring at the end of this season and Hanley Ramirez expected to replace him as the full-time designated hitter, the door was open for Travis to become the Red Sox' first baseman next year. Playing at Triple-A for the first time, the 22-year-old Travis -- honored by the Red Sox as their Minor League Offensive Player of the the Year in 2015 -- was hitting .272/.332/.434 with 10 doubles, 6 home runs and 29 RBI in 47 games.

Now, however, it's almost a complete certainty Travis won't be able to start next season in Boston. And depending on what the Red Sox do in the offseason to replace Ortiz, such as a signing a free agent to a multiyear contract, Travis' path upward in the Sox organization may become less wide open . . . if not blocked.