Horton forced to leave game after blindside head shot

577426.jpg

Horton forced to leave game after blindside head shot

PHILADELPHIA It seemed as if Nathan Horton had just escaped the fog of last years concussion issues, but now he might be right back in the darkness after a reckless hit from a Flyers thug.

The Bruins right wing was held out of the third period and overtime of Sundays 6-5 shootout win over the Philadelphia Flyers after being on the receiving end of a blindside Tom Sestito shoulder to the head. The contact with Horton came in the second period well after the puck had left his possession, and should mean that Sestito playing in his first NHL game since Dec. 23 after being called back up from the minors will be hearing from the league offices in the next few days.

Sestito has already been suspended twice this season: once for two games during the preseason on a hit from behind and another five-game suspension in the AHL for an illegal check to the head of an opponent.

So it sounds like there is plenty of past history with Sestito and the contact with Hortons head one of the six registered hits Sestito collected in 8:36 of ice time for the Flyers.

There was a blindside hit on Horton. The Washington game is two days away, so well see," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien. "I havent had a chance to talk to our trainers or even get a doctors report to see how severe it is right now. I guess well find out in the next few days here, but certainly the doctors didnt allow him to come back in this game.

Horton responded with anger to the Sestito hit to the head that arrived well behind the play, and he chased after the Philly rabble-rouser before getting whistled off for a roughing call. Both Milan Lucic and Marc-Andre Bourdon got involved in the aftermath, and ultimately the Flyers went on a power play that ended with a Scott Hartnell goal. The Hartnell power play score quickly jump-started a dominant second period for Philadelphia, but it was a sequence that Hortons coach fully understood.

Obviously he got up and took a penalty, but we looked at the replay. When hes been through what he went through last year and it was a blindside hit, I dont blame him for doing his job, said Julien. If I was in his shoes I probably would have done the same thing. Thats our team. We take care of our own stuff. You saw that a couple of times with Kelly getting run over, and getting stood up for by Thornton.

We stick up for each other. Thats what we do. Sometimes that might get us into trouble, but in the long run were a team and we believe in our team concept.

Horton never returned to the game, and Julien said after the game hes a question mark for Tuesdays game against the Capitals that concludes the Bs pre-All-Star break schedule.

Felger on Ortiz: ‘He keeps passing the tests’

fm_peds050516_1280x720_680130627618.jpg

Felger on Ortiz: ‘He keeps passing the tests’

Major League Baseball is reportedly set to release more PED testing results, but Mike Felger is growing increasingly more confident in the fact that David Ortiz is clean. He's passing all the tests, isn't he?

Secretary of Navy: Cardona 'may have to leave the Patriots' to serve

cardona-patriots.jpg

Secretary of Navy: Cardona 'may have to leave the Patriots' to serve

United States Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus joined the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday to discuss new Ravens draftee Keenan Reynolds, a record-setting quarterback during his career at the Naval Academy. In so doing, Mabus hit on the uncertain status of Patriots long-snapper Joe Cardona. 

"Right now we do have a process," Mabus said. "It hasn't got up to me yet to [decide on whether or not Reynolds will be eligible to play], but there are a lot of paths to both play and to serve. 

"We've got Joe Cardona, long snapper for the Patriots. He played . . . last year for the Patriots while he was on active duty because he was able to work them both out. Now he's been assigned to a ship, and he's going to report to that ship. He may have to leave the Patriots for a year or so to go fulfill that roll."

The playing status for individuals like Reynolds and Cardona is always somewhat uncertain given their commitment. Last season, Cardona was able to serve by working at the Naval Preparatory Academy during his time away from the Patriots facilities. Once his rookie season ended, he headed back to the Newport, Rhode Island-based school to work full-time and help mentor students there. 

Cardona was scheduled to make his way to Norfolk, Virginia later in the offseason and live there for about two months to participate in the Navy's Basic Division Officer Course, or "BDOC," which was required before he could report to his ship as a Surface Warfare Officer. From there, he was scheduled to travel to Bath, Maine, to work on the USS Zumwalt. 

"I'll get to work there and figure out a schedule that doesn't interfere with either of my jobs," Cardona said back in January following New England's loss to Denver in the AFC title game, "and hopefully be back on the field next year."

Cardona has long maintained that his job as an active member of the Navy is his top priority. Should his duties on the USS Zumwalt interfere with his long-snapping work with the Patriots, he could realistically sit out for the season. 

The Patriots signed veteran long-snapper Christian Yount earlier this offseason in a move that reminded those following the team that Cardona is not guaranteed to be available for 2016. Patriots defensive end Rob Ninkovich has long-snapped in the past and typically serves as the team's emergency snapper. 

Cardona was selected in the fifth round of the 2015 draft and played in all 16 regular-season games and two postseason games for the Patriots last season.