BUFFALO – Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins and Buffalo Sabres scoreless after the first 20 minutes of action at the First Niagara Center.
1) Milan Lucic fanned on an empty net chance right at the end of the first period. Just got the slightest piece of the puck and pushed it left of the vacant cage as Ryan Miller was scrambling in front of the crease.
2) Outstanding save by Anton Khudobin in the middle of the first when Rich Peverley and Zdeno Chara couldn’t contain a loose puck in the neutral zone, and Tyler Ennis ended up with the biscuit all alone in front of the net. He faked one move and tried to tuck the puck in the far side, but Khudobin kicked out his right pad to make the save. Khudobin is the only reason the Bruins aren’t losing right now.
3) Two embellishment calls in the first period: one on Steve Ott for launching himself into the boards after Zdeno Chara gave him a shove in the back, and another on Tyler Seguin for dropping to the ice after some contact with Christian Erhoff. Both were called as matching penalties and both looked like the right calls to these eyes. Wonder if we’ll start seeing more of that now?
4) Six of Boston’s 10 shots on net in the first period were from the defensemen corps. Think they’re shooting mostly from the perimeter right now? The Bruins forwards need to make themselves more of a factor in this game.
5) David Krejci was slammed over by the side boards and Gregory Campbell was rag-dolled to the ice by John Scott during a loose puck scramble in front of the Buffalo net. Zero reaction from the rest of the Bruins as they politely and merrily go about their way. What is going on with this team right now?
Here are five thoughts from the second period with the Bruins and Buffalo Sabres scoreless after the first 40 minutes of action at the First Niagara Center.
1) Nathan Horton with a pair of stick infractions in the second period with a hooking and slashing call. Indicative of a player that’s not moving his feet and is using stickwork to make up for it. He has had two of the best chances for the Bruins through the first 40 minutes, but Ryan Miller has been able to stop both of them.
2) Anton Khudobin is essentially keeping the Bruins in this game. Buffalo all around the net with a handful of power plays and the majority of the action in Boston’s defensive zone.
3) Where is the urgency from this team? You finally saw it in the second period during the final penalty kill with Horton in the penalty box, but it’s been otherwise missing. If the Bruins don’t get a single point out of a weekend series against the Flyers and the Sabres, they have some serious issues that they need to start openly discussing.
4) A slew of defensive mistakes in the first two periods continue to allow odd man rushes. The Sabres nearly scored on one midway through the second period, but it took a nice diving play by Dennis Seidenberg to stop a 2-on-1 pass from going through, and Cody Hodgson’s pass very nearly trickled past the goal line with Anton Khudobin moving side-to-side in front of the net.
5) Two shots on goal combined for Milan Lucic, Patrice Bergeron, Tyler Seguin, Brad Marchand, David Krejci and Rich Peverley today through two periods. That is brutal.