Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins and Calgary Flames locked in a scoreless tie after the first 20 minutes of action at TD Garden.
1) Three shots on ice for Brian McGrattan in the first period to lead all skaters. I absolutely didn’t see that one coming.
2) Nine saves for Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask in the first period, including a pair on a shot and rebound by Joe Colborne. There was a good, fast pace to the action, and both teams had some pretty good scoring chances.
3) First NHL game for Craig Cunningham with Matt Fraser out with a last minute injury he couldn’t play through.
4) The Bruins won 11-for-16 face-offs against Calgary, with Patrice Bergeron taking 7-of-9 draws in the first period. Blair Jones wearing it for the Flames with 1-of-6 wins on the draw.
5) Aggressive first period for Mikael Backlund, who had three takeaways for the Flames during the opening 20 minutes.
Here are five thoughts from the second period with the Bruins leading the Calgary Flames by a 1-0 score after the first 40 minutes of action at TD Garden.
1) Zdeno Chara with his eighth goal of the season, and fifth power play goal on a scorched one timer from the right face-off circle off a sweet pass from David Krejci. Nice plays by Milan Lucic and Torey Krug to keep the puck in the offensive zone before Chara unleashed his blast. There’s been some really good work by that power play this season.
2) Refs somehow missed a Matt Stajan high stick that got Zdeno Chara right between the eyes in front of the Boston. How on earth do you miss that? Chara had a little extra oomph when he scored the PP goal, and I’m sure it had to do with frustration about the non-call.
3) Brad Marchand might be going away for awhile. He tagged Sean Monahan from behind in the offensive zone when he saw all numbers from the back of his jersey, and drove his head into the boards with a forearm shove. He could have cleaned him out worse than he did, but you’ve got to expect Marchand will hear from the league given his history.
4) Calgary pest Lance Bouma definitely getting the attention of the Bruins tonight. He clocked Nick Johnson with a hit early in the game, had Torey Krug lined up in the corner before he stepped out of the way and hit Kevan Miller in the chin with a high stick that got him four minutes worth of penalties. Then Dennis Seidenberg drilled him with a hit at center ice that started a major scrum.
5) Four shots on net in 5:31 of ice time for Craig Cunningham. I guess he’s a little pumped up for his NHL debut.