PITTSBURGH -- Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins trailing the Penguins by a 2-1 score after the first 20 minutes of action at the CONSOL Energy Center.
1) Tough way to end the period with Tuukka Rask unable to hold a Craig Adams shot that deflected off Andrew Ference’s leg, and then Joe Vitale smacked home the rebound with 32 seconds remaining. Those are momentum killers and wiped out all of the good feeling that Boston had after tying the game up in the final four minutes and playing a pretty solid first period.
2) Four shots on net for Tyler Seguin, who has the turbo button working on his skating speed today. He used good positioning to score Boston’s only goal when a Johnny Boychuk point shot bounced off a body with Patrice Bergeron battling a Pitt defender in the high slot, and came right to Seguin in the left circle. He slammed it home for his 10th goal of the year.
3) Nathan Horton getting in touch with his nasty again today. Waited at center ice to put a stick in Matt Cooke’s ribs a couple of times at the end of his first shift, and then got into another shoving match with him later on in the period. Busting out another can of nasty today.
4) Zdeno Chara lost a puck battle to Pascal Dupuis behind the net, and that turned into a quick Sidney Crosby strike from the right circle after a lighting fast pass. Bruins were in good position but couldn’t handle the quick Pittsburgh puck movement after losing a battle.
5) Sid the Kid complaining about not getting a penalty call on a rush where he split up Boychuk and Chara before falling down. He got off a forehand shot that Tuukka Rask put a stop to, but he barked at the refs after the whistle blew. The Crosby goal happened seconds later: An angry Crosby is an effective Crosby.