SAN JOSE, CA Here are ten thoughts from the game with the Bruins trailing the San Jose Sharks by a 1-0 score after the first 40 minutes of action at HP Pavilion.
1) The Bruins looked a little better as the first period rolled along, but they appeared to be a team trying to get their skating legs after a quick trip out to the West Coast. They were getting outshot 8-3 at one point in the period and the Sharks controlled time of possession in Bostons zone throughout the opening 20 minutes. The Bruins started bringing a little more energy as the period moved along, but they need to be better.
2) The Bruins made a couple of mistakes in their own zone early in the game and they were lucky to get out of the first period down 1-0. Dennis Seidenberg kicked a puck right to the front of the net, but Michael Handzus couldnt pounce on it quickly enough to do any damage, but Milan Lucic threw a bad pass out by the blue line that eventually turned into Joe Pavelskis score in the period.
3) The Bruins players are trying to get the nastiness and intensity going: Shawn Thornton tangled with Jason Demers after the Sharks forward didnt like a Gregory Campbell hit and Adam McQuaid nearly dropped the gloves with Dominic Moore in front of the two benches. Looks like the Sharks dont actually want to fight tonight, however.
4) Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci have each gone undefeated in three face-offs apiece in the first period while the rest of the Bs centermen have went 1-for-5 in the opening 20 minutes. Thats a nice number, but the Bruins need to start getting more puck possession time.
5) Tim Thomas was solid in the first period once again. Gave up the goal on a second-effort rebound stuff when his defense couldnt clear the puck out of the area around the net.
1) Nine shots through two periods for the Bruins. It looks like the Sharks are doing to the Bs what Boston did to Toronto in the defensive zone on Monday night. Only a couple of good chances for the Bs through two periods. Milan Lucic hit a crossbar off a David Krejci pass in the final few minutes of the second period.
2) Milan Lucic has three giveaways in the first periods and hasnt been too sharp with his passing tonight. Then he hit a crossbar late in the second period. Hes brought a physical element, but too many mistakes tonight.
3) Its pretty clear the Bruins were trying to initiate something with the Sharks to get themselves going, but San Jose doesnt want to drop the gloves. That can sometimes make it difficult for the Bruins to truly engage emotionally.
4) Tim Thomas continuing his strong play. He made a nice stop on a Brian Boyle point shot from the high slot area with Dominic Moore hanging around the front of the net, and then a leaping stop on an odd-man rush with Logan Couture feeding it to Martin Havlat on a 2-on-1. Nineteen saves on 20 shots for Thomas in another confidence-building game.
5) No shots on net for David Krejci, Chris Kelly, Patrice Bergeron, Benoit Pouliot or Jordan Caron. Time for the Bruins forward group to get involved in the game.