Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins trailing the Pittsburgh Penguins by a 2-1 score after the first 20 minutes at TD Garden.
1) Benoit Pouliot with a filthy backhander off the rush that lifted over Brent Johnsons shoulder for his 15th goal of the season. Without exaggeration at least half of Pouliots goals have been highlight reel variety, and underscore just how good he can be when he wants to be.
2) Milan Lucic looked like he was shaken up when he attempted to throw a body check just as he exited the penalty box, and instead got up awkwardly. He went down the runway to the dressing for a handful of shifts, but finished the period back skating with David Krejci and Rich Peverley.
3) Tyler Seguin won the 7th Player Award. It should have been Chris Kelly. I blame the 15-year-old girl factor in the online voting at NESN.com
4) Torey Krug had eight shifts and 5:34 of ice time while getting a shot on net and looking as advertised: good with the first pass and needing to gain a little strength when hes carrying the puck.
5) Joe Corvo on the ice for the first goal scored by the Penguins and he had a hand in it. Some things never change. Claude Julien getting another dose of exactly why Corvo could be a big liability in his own zone in the playoffs.