SUNRISE, FL Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins down by a 1-0 score after the first 20 minutes of action at the BankAtlantic Center.
1) Tough first period for a Bruins team looking for a break. The Bs play a good, solid period and Tim Thomas looks good enough between the pipes. But allowing a goal on six shots faced still isnt getting it done and there are a lot of high, unaltered shots that are somehow getting through Thomas on the way to the Boston net. He still needs to be better.
2) Perfectly legal hip check on Brad Marchand from Brian Campbell, and the Florida defenseman refuses to drop the gloves with Patrice Bergeron of all people to answer for it. Then Marchand chases after Campbell and gets an unsportsmanlike conduct call when he goes looking for retribution. Marchand needs to play a certain way while also realizing hes not going to get any breaks from the referees. But its pretty weak sauce for Campbell refusing to man up when challenged by Bergeron.
3) Awful, awful call on Shawn Thornton that led to the Bruins goal. Keaton Ellerby basically fell down with Thornton on his back near the side boards and the Bruins enforcer was called for cross-checking. Of course it led to a Florida power play goal after the Bruins had played a decent opening period. Just the way things are breaking for the Bruins right now.
4) Seventh straight game the Bruins have allowed the first goal to their opponents. They cant be successful if theyre constantly chasing after it, and the Panthers are the kind of team that will lock it down once they have a lead.
5) Jordan Caron looks good skating around with Milan Lucic and David Krejci. Good bid for Caron on a drop-back pass from Lucic near the blue line that opened No. 38 up for a big wrist shot. But Jose Theodore was there to make the stop.
1) The Bs fourth line on the ice again for two more goals against. Theyve had an up-and-down year and just havent been as good as they were last season, and tonights another example though its not close to all the Merlot Lines fault.
2) Zdeno Chara needs to quit the first breakout pass through the middle of the ice. One of them handcuffs Gregory Campbell, gets the Bs hemmed into their own zone and turns into a John Madden goal. There were two or three other instances of those passes turning into scoring chances for Florida tonight.
3) Brad Marchand has been effectively bottled up after taking that Brian Campbell hit in the first period. They havent been on the ice for any of the goals allowed, but they also have also only generated four shots on net while KrejciLucicCaron has two shots on net. Not enough offensive chances created by those top two lines.
4) Dennis Seidenberg is getting knocked off the puck left, right and center. Love the German defenseman but he looks as tired as anybody else on the Bruins team after taking a lot of hits and pounding over the last two years.
5) Just no snap from the Bruins. Watch Marco Sturm diving head first into the net to try and get at a Tim Thomas rebound. He was unsuccessful, but nobody on the Bruins is playing with that kind of bounce or emotional urgency.