BOSTON -- Here are ten thoughts from the second period with the Bruins and Capitals off to a scoreless start after the first 40 minutes of action at TD Garden.
1) Vicious hit by Jason Chimera on Adam McQuaid that immediately set the big defenseman down to the ice covering his head and face. McQuaid actually turned his back toward Chimera at the last instant and didnt seem to see him coming with his head down, but Chimera took upwards of 10 strides and high speed before leveling the defenseman once his back was to him. Coming in way too fast with recklessness on a textbook charging call, and Chimera gets bounced from the game. Would expect hes going to hear from Brendan Shanahan after that hit for same reasons Andrew Ference got banged with a suspension. McQuaid left with an apparent cut on his head after he was down on the ice for a while. Would be stunned if hes not concussed.
2) Tomas Vokoun sees a handful of shots and then is gone with what might have been an aggravation of his groin injury. Michael Neuvirth back into the mix for the Capitals between the pipes, but it isnt going to make much difference if theres almost no offense being generated.
3) Alex Ovechkin has one shot and less than four minutes of ice time in the first period. Didnt even notice him out therethats how invisible hes been tonight.
4) Good chances for Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic among their seven shots on net, but not enough dirty work being done around the net right now.
5) So far, so good with Joe Corvo.
1) Adam McQuaid wont return to the game after taking a hit from behind by Jason Chimera in the first period, and the Bruins are already without Dennis Seidenberg heading into tonight. All of a sudden their depth is being tested and they might actually need Torey Krug to play. Clearly Mike Mottau should be getting call this weekend if McQuaid is hurt, but wouldnt that make things interesting?
2) Nine shots on net for the Capitals and their player skating with the most desperation (Jason Chimera) was tossed after a dangerous charge into Adam McQuaid. Amazing to watch how Washington looks like theyve basically packed it in this weekend.
3) Seven hits combined for Johnny Boychuk and Greg Zanon. Both players throwing the body around, and Milan Lucic rocked Troy Brouwer with a hit against the side boards midway through the period. It looks like the Bs are starting to crank up the physicality and hate a little bit. Good defense by the Bruins holding the Capitals to nine shots on net in another impressive job choking the offense out of the opposition.
4) Great stat by WEEI.coms Michael Berger, Bruins are 1-14-1 when held scoreless through two periods this season. That doesnt exactly bode well tonight for their chances to clinch a playoff spot.
5) One shot on net and no hits for Alex Ovechkin in 13 plus minutes of ice time through the first two periods. Not much of a visible factor at all. That seems to be the story for his entire season, doesnt it?