SPRINGFIELD, MA -- Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Providence Bruins and Springfield Falcons locked in a 1-1 after the first 20 minutes of play.
1) Craig Cunningham continues to make an impact whenever I watch him play. Did a solid job on the PK and during 5-on-5 when he was on the ice, and scored Providence's only goal when he crashed the net looking for rebounds. A Carter Camper shot created a loose puck in front of the net and Cunningham shoveled a backhand past Springfield goalie Curtis Mchelinney. It's Cunningham's second goal in 4 games.
2) Bobby Robbins has 19 PIMs in three games played. That's all you really need to know about the physical intensity that the former UMass-Lowell forward has been bringing to games. He dropped the gloves with Cody Bass and took a few overhand rights in the process, but he also drew a tripping penalty for a P-Bruins PP at the end of the first period.
3) Didn't notice Ryan Spooner much at all in the first 20 minutes.
4) Saw some really bad habits out of David Warsofsky during training camp and those seem to be continuing during the AHL season. Got trapped in his own end on a breakout by two fore-checkers because he was skating in circles behind his own net and Springfield nearly scored after he turned the puck over. Also telegraphed a point pass on the PP that nearly turned into breakaway at the other end. With Torey Krug around you have to wonder how much longer they'll stick with a player like Warsofsky that seems to take a lot of unnecesarry risks.
5) Niklas Svedberg in net again for the P-Bruins after earning the team's first win vs. Manchester last night. He's looked pretty comfortable between the pipes after Mike Hutchinson struggled a bit to start the season.