RALEIGH, N.C. Here are five thoughts from the second period with the Bruins and Hurricanes locked in a 1-1 tie at the end of the first 40 minutes at the RBC Center.
1) Hurricanes outhitting the Bruins 14-7 through two periods. Never a good sign for the end result as far as the Bruins are concerned.
2) Two shots on net, six wins in nine draws and plenty of give-and-go passing for Patrice Bergeron to go along with his hard work rebound goal scored in the second period. Hes putting together a pretty good example of what he brings to the table every single night.
3) Thirteen saves for Tim Thomas, who looks locked in aside from the Patrick Dwyer goal surrendered following Bostons score. Thomas is partially absolved for the one goal surrendered as it appeared Dwyer got a high top on Brandon Sutters rocket before it shot past Thomas.
4) A great night for Cam Ward, who made a handful of great saves on the Bruins including a point blank stop on Shawn Thornton on a backhanded shovel attempt. Ward has 22 saves in all and hes had a fair number of scoring chances tossed against him by the Bruins.
5) Four blocked shots and three takeaways for Jiri Tlusty, who has been a fore-checking demon for the Hurricanes tonight.