Concerned Savard 'really far away' from ever playing again

592688.jpg

Concerned Savard 'really far away' from ever playing again

At times Marc Savard has almost become a forgotten man with the Boston Bruins.

Its expected the concussed center will never suit up again in the NHL after absorbing too many head injuries suffered during his hockey career.

The vicious head shot suffered at the hands of Matt Cooke two years ago effectively ended his career takes on even more tragic tones when Savard discusses the symptoms he still battles stemming from the predatory blow.

He managed to play in the postseason against the Flyers two years ago while later admitting the concussion symptoms crept back in during the seven-game series, and managed to play in 25 games last year before a Matt Hunwick hit in Colorado finally knocked him out of commission.

The one constant has been post-concussion symptoms that have been with him for over a year now, and many of them are downright frightening.

Ive had a lot of issues obviously. They were a lot of different things. This year I was at home a lot and I tried to help out my son coaching and getting on the ice a little bit. Even doing just getting on the ice coaching I wouldnt feel well afterward: lightheadedness, a little bit of an upset stomach all the time, said Savard during an interview with Powerplay on NHL Home Ice on SiriusXM Radio. But the biggest issue Ive had, of course, is the memory issues. Its very frustrating. Its something I hope I dont have to deal with for the rest of my life.

With CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) on the tip of the sports worlds tongues after the tragic suicide of Junior Seau two days ago and the deaths of three NHL enforcers last summer, the 34-year-old Savard ticked off considerable difficulties hes encountered while hoping things dont get worse.

Ive gone through a lot of stuff, and when stories like Seau come out you worry about the future for everyone, said Savard. I wish there was a black and white rule for head shotsit would be better for the game.
Savard is plagued by dizziness, depression and memory loss over the last two years, and most of those post-concussion symptoms havent abated since No. 91 last played on Jan. 22, 2011. The center hasnt attempted serious exercise in over a year and instead hopes there will come a day when the fog finally lifts from his brain.

Savard admitted during the interview he is really far away from playing professional hockey ever again, and that unfortunately might be the best thing for a player thats just trying to recapture his quality of life after one too many savage head injuries.

Julien sidesteps job security question with "shock journalism" comment

Julien sidesteps job security question with "shock journalism" comment

BOSTON -- With three crushing losses in a row at a time when results are really all that matters, the Boston Bruins are reeling at the wrong time during the regular season. The B’s tried their best to win a game 0-0 with strong defense against a sleepy Chicago Blackhawks bunch on Friday night, but ultimately coughed up a Marian Hossa goal in the final minutes for a 1-0 regulation loss at TD Garden.

The defeat continued a swirl downward for the Black and Gold over the last week, and was a second straight shutout loss on home ice for the first time in almost 15 years. The losing stretch has also kicked up the chatter that Claude Julien is in trouble as head coach of the Bruins, and the hockey club’s underperformance up and down the lineup is ultimately going to cost the NHL’s longest tenured bench boss his job.

The Ottawa Senators have passed the Bruins in the Atlantic Division, and it’s only a matter of time before the Toronto Maple Leafs move by them as well with both Toronto and Ottawa holding six games in hand on Boston. Combine all of this with the B’s having missed the playoffs in each of the previous two seasons leading into this one, and it shouldn’t be at all surprising that Julien is squarely on the coaching hot seat.

The B’s bench boss was asked about his job security after the Chicago loss, and clearly didn’t appreciate the tough, but appropriate question.

“Well, I’m not into shock-journalism,” said Julien in a prideful tone. “So I’ll stay away from that question if you don’t mind.”

The Bruins posted their Saturday schedule shortly after Julien and the B’s players had addressed the media following the loss, and sure enough the embattled coach is scheduled to address the media post-practice as part of the regular practice day routine. So it doesn’t seem that a move with Julien is imminent this weekend despite another loss, but both the coach and the players know something is going to happen to shake things up with this team if they continue to struggle.

“Right now it’s a results based situation, so if you’re going to keep losing games then probably something’s going to happen,” said Torey Krug. “But right now we’re just pretty down emotionally after this game, so I don’t want to look at the big picture. I just [want to] focus on what’s going on in this room, and hopefully we can come back with a good effort the next game.”

A good effort might help Julien’s standing with the Bruins in the short term, but it’s impossible to imagine the B’s bench boss making it through the rest of the Bruins regular season given all of things working against him right now.