Chiarelli talks restricted free agents

Chiarelli talks restricted free agents
June 29, 2013, 7:30 pm
Share This Post

NEW YORK CITY – The Bruins are trudging through the deadlines and paperwork consistent with building a roster for next season. That means, among other things, qualifying all of the restricted free agents that they’re looking to keep in the Black and Gold fold for the 2013-14 hockey season.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli indicated the Bruins have already qualified goaltender Tuukka Rask, forward Jordan Caron, forward Carter Camper and defenseman Kevan Miller headed into draft weekend. Rask is still arbitration-eligible this summer, but it appears that’s not a route either side wants to go down with the Finnish netminder after posting a .940 save percentage during Boston’s playoff run.

A source told CSNNE.com last week that a six-year, $39 million deal was a starting point for the 26-year-old Rask after a stellar regular season and playoffs. That could mean something as high as $42 million deal signed by Predators goalie Pekka Rinne that would make the B’s goaltender the highest paid player on the team.

“I’ve talked to his agent and we’re going to try and work something out,” was all that Chiarelli would say about it when meeting with reporters on Saturday morning.

Chiarelli said they “might” send versatile forward Kaspars Daugavins a qualifying offer as an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent, but “we want to see where we fit with a couple of days here.”

The Daug Man dressed in six scoreless games for the Bruins during their Stanley Cup Final playoff run after arriving via waivers from the Ottawa Senators, but is probably most widely remembered for missing an open net in the Game 1 triple-overtime loss to the Blackhawks.

The Bruins haven’t sent a qualifying offer yet to P-Bruins goalie Michael Hutchinson either as another player that Chiarelli “might” end up keeping in the organization. The 23-year-old goalie finished with a 13-13-3 record along with a 2.30 goals against average and a .914 save percentage. Defenseman Colby Cohen was not extended a qualifying offer from the Bruins after an injury-marred 2013 season, and has already signed on with a Finnish hockey team for next year.