Caron among Bruins sent to Providence; Seguin omitted

Caron among Bruins sent to Providence; Seguin omitted
September 14, 2012, 10:15 pm
Share This Post

The Bruins had to announce their assignments to Providence by Friday for players that will be in the AHL should there be an NHL lockout imposed, and 20-year-old Tyler Seguin was not on the list of players.

That means the 20-year-old Seguin wont be playing in the AHL this season as a young Patrice Bergeron did for the P-Bruins during the last lockout. The young All-Star forward had admitted to the media earlier on Friday that he was eligible to be sent down to Providence for the season, but Seguin didnt sound very enthused at the prospects.

I dont know. Obviously I want to play hockey, said Seguin, who said hes also in the market this fall for a permanent residence in Boston. I want to play in the NHL and I hope that works out. But if not I can always go overseas or I can play in the AHL.

Seguin like the rest of the Bruins players will stick around Boston through at least the month of September before potentially making a decision if it appears there will be a lengthy lockout. Interestingly the young Bruins forward would qualify for potential work in the KHL this season given that he just barely passed the 150 NHL games of experience required, and has won a Stanley Cup championship among their list of requirements for non-Russian NHL players.

Anthon Khudobin was also a player that potentially could have been assigned to Providence if he cleared through waivers, but the Bruins werent going to risk losing their backup goaltender. Chris Bourque and defenseman Aaron Johnson were also not among the players cleared for P-Bruins work, and will be locked out along with the bulk of Bostons returning roster.

Dougie Hamilton and Malcolm Subban were assigned to their respective OHL junior hockey teams. But the promising Hamilton told CSNNE.com in an interview last month that hell be reporting to Bs training camp from his Niagara team once the lockout is over.

So Jordan Caron will headline a group of young Bs prospects that were all assigned to Providence on Friday, and will report for AHL training camp on Sept. 28 in Providence. Here is the list of Bs players assigned to Providence on Friday as the entire NHL braces for this weekends seemingly inevitable lockout:

Matt Bartkowski, Ryan Button, Carter Camper, Jordan Caron, Colby Cohen, Tommy Cross, Craig Cunningham, Justin Florek, Michael Hutchinson, Jared Knight, Torey
Krug, Kevan Miller, Adam Morrison, Tyler Randell, Max Sauve, Ryan Spooner, Niklas Svedberg, Zach Trotman and David Warsofsky.

The following players have cleared waivers and have been assigned to Providence: Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif and Trent Whitfield.