Beckett, Gonzalez comment on Red Sox departure

865607.jpg

Beckett, Gonzalez comment on Red Sox departure

Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez and Nick Punto fielded questions inside their new home stadium moments after their first game together as members of the Dodgers. Though Los Angeles beat the Marlins, 8-2, the players spoke about their time back in Boston.

Less than 24 hours earlier, the players were still officially members of the Red Sox. Then, on Saturday morning, the blockbuster 9-player deal with the Dodgers was made official.

"I had an awesome time in Boston. I had some tough times. There are some great people there," Beckett said, via ESPNBoston.com. "For me, I think it was time to move on and start this new chapter."

When pressed to go into more detail on why it was the right time to move on, Beckett wouldn't.

"I don't know," he said. "I think it was time for both sides. I don't really have a reason."

Beckett did admit that all the players involved in the trade could have done a better job while with the Red Sox.

"We were very talented. We should've played better," Beckett said. "That's what I told Red Sox GM Ben Cherington. I don't think he wants to trade away everybody. I just think we made it impossible for him not to do that by not playing well and I'm as big a part of that as anybody. I know that that's not what they wanted to do. They wanted Adrian to stay and they wanted me to stay. They wanted Nick to stay and they wanted Carl Crawford to stay. But we just didn't do our jobs."

Gonzalez said that since last September, the Red Sox just couldn't put everything together at the same time.

"It was working pretty well until last September and then, when the hitters hit, we gave up runs; and when the pitchers pitched, we didn't hit," he said. "I don't know. It kind of went on from there. We made a lot of errors. We've said it all along, the players have, we just didn't play good baseball.

"Then all these other things came out. They were zero reason why we lost. But then this year we just couldn't put it together."

According to reports, a text message had been sent from Gonzalez's phone last month that precipitated a meeting with team ownership during which players reportedly tried to have manager Bobby Valentine fired. Gonzalez didn't explicitly mention those reports, but he did express disappointment with how things played out while he was with the Red Sox.

"Last year everybody was telling me about taking more of a leadership role at the end of the year," Gonzalez said. "This year I tried to be a little more outspoken. But whenever you say certain things or do certain things, they can fire back the wrong way.

"Everything I ever did was for the sake of winning and I think everybody in the clubhouse knows that. The way things were spun is unfortunate, but I guess, looking back, there are a couple things; well, one thing, that I shouldn't have done."

Hernandez has chance at Red Sox opening day roster after Rutledge injury

Hernandez has chance at Red Sox opening day roster after Rutledge injury

Infielder Marco Hernandez may make the Red Sox roster after all.

Fellow infielder Josh Rutledge, the presumptive 25th man on the Red Sox, suffered a left hamstring strain on Tuesday against the Pirates, according to reporters in Florida, including Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald.

If Rutledge isn’t ready for opening day, Hernandez, a left-handed hitter, may have his crack. 

The question is whether the Sox would be comfortable without a right-handed bat to complement both Pablo Sandoval and Mitch Moreland on the corners. Rutledge was going to give the Sox that right-handed look they sought. (When Hanley Ramirez's shoulder will be healthy enough to play first base is unclear, but isn't expected to be too long.)

Neither Rutledge nor Hernandez has played first base in the majors or minors.

A big-league rookie last year, Hernandez has done decently against lefties at the upper levels of the minors, hitting .328 vs. them at Triple-A Pawtucket last season in 67 at-bats. He hit .315 in 54 at-bats at Pawtucket, with a .318 average against them that season in 88 at-bats for Double-A Portland.

Rutledge is a Rule 5 draft pick who has to remain on the major league 25-man roster the whole season or the Sox risk losing him. Placement on the disabled list doesn’t affect his status unless he’s on the disabled list for a very lengthy time.

An alternative option is Steve Selsky, who has first-base experience, but he's already been optioned.

Roger Goodell says he'll be present for Patriots opener at Gillette Stadium

Roger Goodell says he'll be present for Patriots opener at Gillette Stadium

PHOENIX -- Roger Goodell said during a press conference at the league meetings on Tuesday evening that he planned to attend the NFL's "kickoff game" next season, which is scheduled to be hosted by the Patriots at Gillette Stadium in September. 

Goodell has not visited Gillette Stadium since the AFC title game in January of 2015 -- the game during which Deflategate was sparked. Last season he opted to visit Atlanta for the Divisional and Championship rounds of the playoffs in back-to-back weeks. 

On Monday, Robert Kraft was asked if he anticipated Goodell visiting New England for his team's 2017 season-opener. 

"I think I'll let you all ask him that," Kraft said. "Look, he's the commissioner of the league. As we all know, he has the right to go wherever he wishes to go. If he wants to come, he's welcome to come. We're happy we'll be celebrating our fifth banner. He can decide if he wants to be there."

It appears as though he's decided to be there.