A look at Red Sox's likely Sept. 1 call-ups

A look at Red Sox's likely Sept. 1 call-ups
August 28, 2013, 7:15 pm
Share This Post

BOSTON - Expanded rosters are coming to teams Sunday, and the Red Sox intend to take full advantage.
      
On Sept. 1, major league rosters are no longer limited to 25 players. As long as a player is on the 40-man roster, he's eligible
to be promoted to the big league team to help out in the final month of the season.
      
John Farrell said the Red Sox intend to call up "eight or nine'' players to augment those already on hand, though Farrell noted that the
team wouldn't necessarily make all the call-ups immediately.
      
With the Pawtucket Red Sox in a playoff push, the Red Sox may want to leave some of the targeted players in the minors to help their Triple-A affiliate reach the postseason.
      
Here's a guess at those under consideration, broken down by position
      
CATCHERS (1): Ryan Lavarnway. Lavarnway is on the 40-man roster already and has major league experience, having spent the summer with the team while David Ross recovered from a concussion.
      
It's possible that the Sox could call up another receiver, as both Dan Butler (Pawtucket) and Christian Vazquez (Portland) are already on the 40-man and are accomplished catch-and-throw candidates.
      
In all likelihood, however, Lavarnway will be the only catcher promoted for now.
      
INFIELDERS (2): Brock Holt and Brandon Snyder
      
Like Lavarnway, Holt and Snyder spent considerable time with the big league team earlier and are virtual locks to be brought back in September.
      
Holt will give the Red Sox a bonafide second baseman in the final month which the team currently lacks. Will Middlebrooks is the emergency second baseman for the time being and while he turned a nice double play in his first exposure to the position last week, the Sox will want someone more experienced.
      
Snyder offers depth at third base behind Middlebrooks and Xander Bogaerts, as well as a right-handed bat with some pop off the bench.
      
OUTFIELDERS (2): Jackie Bradley Jr. and Quintin Berry
      
Bradley and Berry can provide speed and defense, which are invaluable for an expanded roster. If Farrell wants to pinch-run in a key spot, Berry is an accomplished base stealer at the big league level. Bradley hasn't shown the ability to steal bases consistently, but he could still serve as an upgrade on the basepaths in the late innings.
      
Bradley's real value comes as a defensive replacement, especially when the likes of Jonny Gomes or Mike Carp are in left field.
      
The Sox must first get Berry onto the 40-man roster, which could take some manuevering, but is far from impossible.
      
PITCHERS (4): Pedro Beato; Rubby de la Rosa; Steven Wright; Alex Wilson
      
Beato, a journeyman, could help eat some innings in lopsided games, while Wright, stretched out as a starter, could conceivably get a spot start at some point if the Red Sox wanted to find some rest for a starter or two.
      
Wilson has been sidelined with a thumb injury, but was effective earlier in the year in Boston and the Sox could use help when it comes to right-handed set-up arms. In the current bullpen alignment, the Sox have only Junichi Tazawa and Brandon Workman as righthanded set-up options.
      
De la Rosa seems an obvious choice, since he's pitched -- with some effectiveness - out of a big league bullpen. The same cannot be said of Allen Webster, who has pitched exclusively as a starter this year and whose presence isn't needed for now.