After his 34-year-old son Jared Remy was charged with murder earlier this month, Jerry Remy has been absent from the Red Sox broadcast booth. In a release sent out Thursday evening by NESN, it was announced that Remy will not be broadcasting Sox games for the rest of the 2013 season. Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley has been filling in.
Jared Remy pleaded not guilty in Waltham, Mass., District Court on Aug. 16 on charges of murder and domestic assault and battery in the stabbing death of his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel, 27.
Here is the release from NESN:
August 29, 2013 – Beloved NESN broadcaster and Red Sox Hall of Famer Jerry Remy will sit out the remaining games of the 2013 season to be with his family.
“I am full of grief for the Martel family,” Remy said. “My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them. My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy. It’s clear this isn’t the time for me to return to broadcasting Red Sox games. It’s my hope that I can do so in the spring. I thank NESN and the Red Sox for their support through this nightmare.”
“We met with Jerry and conveyed our support,” said NESN President and CEO Sean McGrail, “and when Jerry feels the time is right, we will welcome him back. All of us at NESN and the Red Sox once again express our deepest sympathies to the Martel family for their terrible and tragic loss.”