BOSTON –A bit of a quiet start to the three-game series at Fenway Park between the Red Sox and White Sox.
Right-hander Ryan Dempster is making his first start since Aug. 18, when he hit Alex Rodriguez with a pitch, earning him a five-game suspension. Dempster is 6-9 with a 4.77 ERA in 25 starts this season. In his last 10 starts he is 2-1 with a 5.63 ERA while the Sox are 8-2 in those games.
In 14 career appearances, including seven starts, against the White Sox he is 2-5 with a 5.03 ERA, giving up 27 earned runs in 48 1/3 innings, and a .310 opponents’ average. He has faced the White Sox more than any other AL team, making all his appearances while with the Cubs. He last faced the White Sox on May 19, 2012, taking a loss while giving up four runs in six innings.
* Right-hander Clay Buchholz is scheduled to make his second rehab start tonight for Triple-A Pawtucket against Syracuse at McCoy Stadium. He is expected to throw 45-50 pitches. He will likely make one more rehab start after that before he is activated, potentially on Sept. 10, when the Red Sox are at Tampa Bay.
* David Ortiz is hitless in his last six games. He enters Friday’s game riding an 0-for-22 skid with eight strikeouts, reaching base in just one plate appearance with an intentional walk on Tuesday. His last hit was a ninth-inning single off the Yankees’ Mariano Rivera on Aug. 18 at Fenway. Farrell said it’s a “timing thing” for Ortiz.
* Mike Carp, who was scratched Thursday because of shoulder irritation, is day to day. Manager John Farrell said he doesn’t believe the issue is “too far out.” Carp’s availability for tonight will be determined after batting practice.
* Right-hander Jake Peavy is scheduled to make his first start against his former team on Saturday. He has faced every other major league team except his two former teams – the White Sox and Padres.
* In his second outing for the rookie level Gulf Coast League Red Sox, right-hander Daniel Bard was roughed up Thursday. In two-thirds of an inning, he allowed two runs on five walks and two wild pitches with no hits. Farrell said Bard would like additional outings this season and could join Low-A Lowell, whose regular season goes through Sept. 4.
* Third baseman Brandon Snyder, on the DL since Aug. 8 with right elbow ulnar neuritis, is expected to play for Pawtucket tonight on a rehab outing.
* Right-hander Alex Wilson, on the DL since July 9 with a sprained right thumb, is also expected to pitch for Pawtucket tonight in his first rehab outing.
* The White Sox are beginning a 10-game road trip. While mired in last place in the American League Central – saved from the worst record in the league only by the lowly Astros -- they have been on a bit of a hot streak lately, winning four of their last five, 10 of 12, and 16 of 23. They just completed a six-game homestand going 4-2 against the Rangers (2-1) and Astros (2-1). They are a major-league best 10-2 since Aug. 16. Over the last 16 games, White Sox starters have posted an ERA of 3.30. The bullpen’s ERA is 1.91 in the last 17 games.