From Comcast SportsNetNEW YORK (AP) -- It's Marty Mornhinweg's turn to fix the New York Jets' offense.The Jets hired Mornhinweg as their offensive coordinator after he served in the same position the past seven years under Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles.Mornhinweg, who replaced the fired Tony Sparano, was an assistant for 10 years with the Eagles and becomes the Jets' third offensive coordinator in as many seasons.Sparano was fired after one season as New York finished 30th in overall offense. He replaced Brian Schottenheimer before last season, but couldn't jumpstart the running game, get starting quarterback Mark Sanchez to take the next step in his development or figure out a way to use Tim Tebow consistently or effectively.Mornhinweg is expected to bring a more wide-open passing approach to the Jets, who have relied more often on a run-first "Ground-and-Pound" philosophy under Rex Ryan.It is uncertain if Sanchez, owed 8.25 million in guarantees, or Tebow, expected to be traded or released, will remain with the team.Figuring out the Jets' unsettled quarterback situation will be a major task for Mornhinweg, Ryan and newly hired general manager John Idzik.Sanchez, the team's first-round pick in 2009, would cost the Jets a 17.1 million salary cap hit if they cut him. So, it would seem unlikely New York would do that -- although they could try to trade him.Tebow saw limited action after being expected to be a major part of the offense when he was acquired from Denver last March. The popular backup acknowledged at the end of the season that he was "disappointed" at his lack of use, and has yet to comment definitively on what he expects his future to hold.With Mornhinweg's connection to the Eagles, there could be some thoughts that Michael Vick could follow him to the Jets if Philadelphia cuts him. But, newly hired Eagles coach Chip Kelly might want to keep Vick to run the read-option offense.The 50-year-old Mornhinweg was previously the head coach of the Detroit Lions, and was also an assistant with San Francisco and Green Bay.
Insider Joe Haggerty hands out his superlatives following the Boston Bruins 4-3 overtime loss to the Washington Capitals
OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.
The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.
A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.
Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.
Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.
Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.
With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.
Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.
Fox Sports first reported the agreement.