From the everybody hopes that its true department:
WBZ sports anchor Steve Burton, seemingly out of left field, reported on Monday that a new CBA could be announced by the NHL as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday. According to Burton, owners and players have made great progress behind closed doors and it looks like the season will be salvaged, according to the @WBZsports twitter account. Burton also went with the report on the 6 p.m. telecast on WBZ-TV.
CSNNE.com checked in with a source and was told Burtons report was interesting, but not true. The source said it was the first they had heard of anything remotely close to that.
Similarly, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told Sports Illustrated's Sarah Kwak that "not a single morsel" of the report was true.
But one interesting note about Burton: While hes not normally around the Bruins all that much during the season, he was the reporter who roke the news about Phil Kessel being diagnosed with testicular cancer during the 2006-07 season. So there is a small track record there for his having some unique insight into news breaking out of the Bruins camp. And keep in mind that WBZ's FM radio outlet, 98.5 The Sports Hub, is the Bruins' broadcast partner.
A group of players and six NHL owners are set to sit down for a meeting in New York City on Tuesday afternoon. Both NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr are stepping away from the bargaining table on Tuesday, and the hope is that some new blood can spark something.
NHL ownership from Boston, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg and Toronto will be attending Tuesdays meeting, and reports indicate both Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews will be among the player representatives.
Every indication has been that the NHLPA is pursuing options for decertification and the NHL Board of Governors is set to schedule some kind of cancel date on the entire season during a scheduled Dec. 5 meeting. So news of an imminent deal is nothing short of shocking in all hockey circles.
BOSTON – One way or another, R.J. Hunter or James Young was not going to be a Boston Celtic by the end of the day Monday.
The Celtics made their choice by waiving Hunter just hours before the NBA deadline to trim their roster down to 15 players.
Hunter began to show signs of coming around near the end of training camp, but his improved play would eventually be too little too late.
This is certainly good news for Young, who like Hunter, made it clear that he wanted to remain with the Celtics. But it by no means should be seen as a victory for Young who is entering his third NBA season.
The 21-year-old is now part of the 15-man roster, but it still doesn’t address the issue of him playing better to where the Celtics might actually use him with some degree of regularity.
If not for Kelly Olynyk’s shoulder injury, which will keep him out of action until next month, there was a decent chance that Young would begin the season on the inactive roster. But to Young’s credit, he showed a level of dedication to the game that the Celtics had not seen before. He spent most of this past summer in Boston working on his game, trying to get physically stronger. During the preseason, his level of commitment to improving was noticeable as well.
And when he did get a chance to play in the preseason, he did a lot of little things really well, showing the kind of improvement that ultimately put him a leg up on Hunter whom the Celtics drafted last year with the 28th overall pick.
If Hunter isn’t claimed, he becomes an unrestricted free agent who can then sign with any team of his choosing. Do not be surprised if Hunter is claimed off waivers by a team which then assigns him to their Development League affiliate, similar to what the Celtics did with Ryan Kelly over the weekend.
BRIGHTON, Mass. -- The B’s goaltending carousel continued on Monday with young netminder Malcolm Subban getting recalled by the NHL club on emergency recall after Zane McIntyre was sent back down to the P-Bruins on Sunday. Subban started on the ice with the rest of the team at Monday’s practice at Warrior Ice Arena along with Anton Khudobin, but the Russian backup goalie departed the ice early from Monday’s practice presumably with some kind of issue.
Subban has been pulled from two of his four starts for Providence this season, and the former first round pick is 0-3-1 with 4.50 goals against average and .846 save percentage after coming back from last season’s fractured larynx injury.
Tuukka Rask was once again absent from the practice ice, and hasn’t skated with the team since last playing in Thursday night’s win over the New Jersey Devils while clearly dealing with a lower body injury. So the Bruins ended Monday’s practice with only Subban between the pipes, and a swiss-cheese-like blue shooting tarp covering the other net for the B’s shooters.
With that in mind, here are the line combos and D-pairings for Monday’s practice with the Minnesota Wild coming to town on Tuesday:
Khudobin (left early)