This slugger won't play again until 2013

867841.jpg

This slugger won't play again until 2013

From Comcast SportsNetNEW YORK (AP) -- Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista will have season-ending surgery to stabilize a tendon in his left wrist.Bautista said before Tuesday night's game against the New York Yankees that the recovery period is three to four months and he would be ready to play long before the start of spring training next year."There's just too much instability in that tendon and it got to the point where risking injuring the tendon was not worth it," Bautista said. "That's why we're opting to do it now."Bautista was initially injured in an at-bat against the Yankees on July 16. He chose to give rest and rehab a try and he returned from the disabled list Friday. But he says, while he did not experience any pain, he felt the tendon moving around too much and was taken out of the game against the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday. The two-time defending AL home run champion was immediately put back on the DL and sent to Cleveland to see a hand specialist.Dr. Thomas Graham will perform the operation next week in Cleveland."Luckily for me the tendon is completely intact," Bautista said. "He just needs to make it stable again."Manager John Farrell said Bautista made it through his rehabilitation program without issue. But the instability he was feeling when he returned was what prompted the recommendation for surgery."It's a definitive plan going forward," Farrell said. "The tough thing through all this is Jose never felt any discomfort but, yet, he didn't feel the strong stable feeling he typically does."Bautista spoke with Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Sam Fuld, who had similar surgery this spring after a more extended period of rest and immobilization. Bautista did not want to risk missing time next year by trying lengthy rest since it didn't work for Fuld.After a slow start in which his average didn't rise above .200 until mid-May, Bautista finished with a .241 average, 27 homers and 65 RBIs in 92 games."I didn't have the consistency I wanted to but I think I picked it up on a production level and I was able to contribute," Bautista said. "What I really wanted to do, and I said this many times, was remain healthy but unfortunately I wasn't able to."Farrell said rookie Moises Sierra would get most of the action in right field in place of Bautista until Triple-A Las Vegas' season is over and Anthony Gose returns to share playing time.

Haggerty: Bruins would be foolish, impetuous to deal away Carlo

Haggerty: Bruins would be foolish, impetuous to deal away Carlo

There’s been smoke for weeks signaling trade talks between the Boston Bruins and the Colorado Avalanche, and things are reportedly heating up with the Bruins potentially reaching a tipping point with their subpar play on the ice. According to Bleacher Report columnist Adrian Dater, things may be progressing between the two teams because the Bruins are beginning to entertain the idea of trading away 20-year-old top pairing rookie defenseman Brandon Carlo.

Bruins Director of Player Personnel was expected to be out in Colorado scouting the Avalanche/Blackhawks game on Tuesday night, and perhaps getting a long look at players like Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Duchene and Tyson Barrie among others.

The expectation is that 24-year-old Landeskog is in the middle of these trade discussions, and that he would be one of the players targeted by a Bruins team that could use more size on the wing, and more players that can put the puck in the net. Certainly Landeskog has done that in his brief NHL career after being a No. 2 overall pick, and has four 20-goal seasons on his resume prior to a disappointing, injury-plagued current season in Colorado.

The word around the league was that talks fizzled between the Bruins and Avs previously when Joe Sakic asked about the availability of the Colorado Springs native Carlo, and those discussions hit the same crunching roadblock that Winnipeg did in discussions with Boston about Jacob Trouba.

Perhaps that has changed in the last 24 hours after Cam Neely and Don Sweeney watched their Bruins completely no-show against the worst team in the Eastern Conference, the New York Islanders, on Monday afternoon. Now one would expect that Bruins management is getting desperate feeling that a third “Did Not Qualify” for the Stanley Cup playoffs could be in their future if they don’t make a bold, swift move to shake up their dazed hockey club.

But let’s not pull any punches here. The entire Bruins management group should be fired on the spot if they trade a 20-year-old, top pairing shutdown defenseman on an entry level contract like Carlo unless they are getting a bona fide superstar in return. Carlo, Charlie McAvoy and David Pastrnak should all be young, untouchable assets for a Bruins organization that is years away from legitimately holding a chance at a Stanley Cup.

Landeskog is not a bona fide superstar. He’s a good player that’s topped out at 26 goals and 65 points in the NHL, but he’s also the Captain on a horrendous, underachieving Avalanche team over the last three years.

If the price were right for Landeskog it would make all the sense in the world for the Bruins to deal him, but it’s a giant honking red flag that Colorado is looking to unload a player like him that’s signed for a reasonable $5.5 million price tag over the next four seasons. Teams don’t trade young players like that with term unless there’s more to the story, and that’s something the Bruins would do well to consider before giving up a player that could be a top-4 shutdown defenseman in Boston for the next 10 years.

Teams like the Bruins that are in reloading mode also shouldn’t be trading 20-year-old players for 24-year-old players that have already cashed in on their second contract. That’s exactly how the Bruins can get right back into salary cap trouble, and do it with a team that’s producing far less than the Peter Chiarelli groups that were at least still making the playoffs.  

Certainly the Bruins have other young D-men like Charlie McAvoy, Jakub Zboril and Jeremy Lauzon coming down the pipeline, but none of those defensemen are in the mold of a true shutdown D like the 6-foot-5 Carlo. With Zdeno Chara in the final few years of his career with the Black and Gold, the B’s are going to need Carlo to slide into that defensive stopper role given his size, strength, wing span and willingness to do the dirty work the D-zone.

That goes beyond the simple fact that rebuilding the back end with ALL of those young stud D-men is the best way to actually build the Bruins back up into a legitimate Eastern Conference power. 

It would be a giant mistake for the Bruins to ship away a player like Carlo with the hope Landeskog can put Boston over the hump for the playoffs this season, and perhaps ease some of the intense pressure currently weighing on Sweeney and Neely. That kind of desperate move smacks of doing it for all of the wrong reasons, and that’s one way to ensure that the Bruins will never escape the web of mediocrity that they’re currently caught in.