Shower abuse victim suing Penn State


Shower abuse victim suing Penn State

From Comcast SportsNet

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- For months, the identity of the boy who was sexually assaulted in the locker-room showers by Jerry Sandusky was one of the biggest mysteries of the Penn State scandal. Now, for the first time, a man has come forward publicly to claim he was that boy, and is threatening to sue the university.

The man's lawyers said Thursday they have done an extensive investigation and gathered "overwhelming evidence" on details of the abuse by Sandusky, the former assistant football coach convicted of using his position at Penn State and as head of a youth charity to molest boys over a period of 15 years.

Jurors convicted Sandusky last month of offenses related to so-called Victim 2 largely on the testimony of Mike McQueary, who was a team graduate assistant at the time and described seeing the attack.

"Our client has to live the rest of his life not only dealing with the effects of Sandusky's childhood sexual abuse, but also with the knowledge that many powerful adults, including those at the highest levels of Penn State, put their own interests and the interests of a child predator above their legal obligations to protect him," the lawyers said in a news release.

They did not name their client, and The Associated Press generally does not identify victims of sex crimes without their consent.

The university said it was taking the case seriously but would not comment on pending litigation.

University President Rodney Erickson and the board of trustees, a school spokesman said, "have publicly emphasized that their goal is to find solutions that rest on the principle of justice for the victims."

The statement from the man's attorneys said Victim 2 suffered "extensive sexual abuse over many years both before and after the 2001 incident Michael McQueary witnessed."

McQueary testified in December at a hearing that he had seen Sandusky and a boy, both naked, in a team shower after hearing skin-on-skin slapping sounds.

"I would have described that it was extremely sexual and I thought that some kind of intercourse was going on," McQueary said.

McQueary reported the abuse to school officials, including Paterno, but none of them told police. In a recent report conducted by former FBI Director Louis Freeh and commissioned by Penn State, the investigators excoriated Paterno and the other administrators for not attempting to identify Victim 2, saying it showed "a striking lack of empathy."

Trustees fired Paterno, who has since died, because he failed to do more about claims against Sandusky, and the scathing independent review said several top school officials looked the other way because they were afraid of bad publicity. The NCAA has vacated 112 Penn State wins.

In a pair of voicemails recorded last year, released with the statement and posted online by the lawyers, a voice that's purportedly Sandusky's expresses his love and says he wants to express his feelings "up front."

The voicemails are dated Sept. 12 and Sept. 19, less than two months before the former Penn State coach was arrested on child sex abuse charges. Sandusky was convicted in June of 45 sex abuse counts and awaits sentencing.

The second voicemail asks whether Victim 2 would like to attend Penn State's next game.

Sandusky left "numerous" voicemails for their client that fall, the attorneys said.

Before the trial, defense attorney Joe Amendola said he had met with a man he believed he might be Victim 2 and the man told him he had not been abused by Sandusky. Amendola said he was not convinced and did not intend to subpoena him, but also said Sandusky himself was insistent they had the right person.

The statement from Victim 2's lawyers leaves many questions unanswered, including whether he had been in contact with prosecutors before or during the trial, whether he remembers McQueary, and whether he is the same person who met with Amendola.

"Jerry Sandusky's abuse of Victim 2 and other children is a direct result of a conspiracy to conceal Sandusky's conduct and the decisions by top Penn State officials that facilitated and enabled his access to victims," the statement read. "We intend to file a civil lawsuit against Penn State University and others and to hold them accountable for the egregious and reckless conduct that facilitated the horrific abuse our client suffered."

The statement did not say when the lawsuit would be filed or contain details on what redress the plaintiff is seeking. The lawyers said they would not have further comment, and messages left for their spokesman were not immediately returned.

Several messages seeking comment from Amendola and Sandusky's other lawyer, Karl Rominger, were not immediately returned.

Prosecutors had said on several occasions they did not know the identity of the boy, and they offered no reaction to the lawyers' announcement Thursday.

"We can't comment, given both our ongoing criminal prosecutions and our ongoing investigation," said Nils Frederiksen, spokesman for the attorney general's office.

The attorneys who released the statement include several based in Philadelphia and in State College, home to Penn State's main campus -- where the shower assault took place.

Marchand still riding the wave of World Cup momentum

Marchand still riding the wave of World Cup momentum

BOSTON – Let this be an ominous warning to the rest of the NHL: the offensive onslaught from Brad Marchand doesn’t look like it’s going to subside anytime soon.

The Bruins left winger scored the tying goal and then set up Patrice Bergeron’s third-period winner in a 2-1 comeback win over the New Jersey Devils at TD Garden Thursday night, adding to his NHL-leading nine points (three goals, six assists) that sees him in a tie with San Jose Sharks D-man Brent Burns.

It’s been quite a line of progression from a player with a bit of a checkered reputation who started out on Boston’s fourth line Gregory Campbell and Shawn Thornton in the B’s Stanley Cup season, but then took off once he was teamed with Patrice Bergeron and Mark Recchi halfway through that season.

“You could see the talent, you could see that he had the great shot, the great release, I thought he was a good skater. I mean he has improved and he has grown as a player no doubt. But the biggest thing that I think was holding him back was that balance that he needed between being more or less a pest and getting under other people’s skin, and using his skill level and being the player he could be,” said Claude Julien. “I think that he has found that in the last few years and become a very respectable player around the league and people now notice how good he is when it comes to the skill level and what he can do as far as being in the game, being a game changer and scoring some goals at opportune times.”

Marchand has now scored in all four games for the Bruins this season and has picked up right where he left off a couple of weeks ago as the leading scorer for Team Canada in the World Cup of Hockey tournament. 

The momentum from that tournament, and the confidence boost from skating on the best forward line there that featured the best players in the world, clearly has Marchand taking his game to a star level that he was just scratching while scoring a whopping 37 goals last season.

“I think there’s times where confidence level is high. Right now, I do feel good. I just feel I have a step ahead of where I normally am coming into the season. I think a lot of that is attributed to the World Cup [of Hockey],” said Marchand. “Obviously, it’s such a high level and you’re playing with such speed for a whole month. So I’m feeling really good. I kind of feel like I’m in midseason form when, most seasons, it takes 10 to 12 games to feel that way.

“Hopefully things continue to go the right way. I’m getting some good bounces and Pasta [Pastrnak] is on fire right now, and Bergy [Patrice Bergeron] is always going to be Bergy. I’m playing with some very good players.”

Clearly, the confidence is high when he scores a goal as filthy as the tying strike on Thursday night. Marchand wheeled through the neutral zone with speed, and then fired a shot from the right face-off circle right through Andy Greene’s legs and tucked inside the far post past a stretched out Cory Schneider. It’s the kind of thing that only the NHL’s best offensive players even attempt, and only the very best can execute with a little puck luck on their side.

“It is tough to get shots through, but if you get it off quick and through a screen, it’s going to go in at times. When it’s kind of quick, in stride, through the legs, that’s a tough one to stop and a tough one to see,” said Marchand. “That was a bit of a lucky bounce I think. I thought it went off the post, replay showed it going off the back of his knob. So you shoot the puck and good things happen.”

Good things continue to happen for Marchand as he rides out a hot streak and realizes the massive potential on a line that contains No. 63, Bergeron and ascending 20-year-old star talent David Pastrnak wreaking havoc at the offensive end of the ice. 


Backes, Krejci look to get rolling offensively for Bruins

Backes, Krejci look to get rolling offensively for Bruins

BOSTON – While David Backes didn’t score a goal in his first home game as a member of the Bruins, his team came away with a comeback 2-1 win Thursday night over the New Jersey Devils in their home opener at TD Garden.

The 32-year-old Backes didn’t have anything on the scoreboard to show for it, but he led all Bruins with six shots on net and seven registered hits while starring as both an offensive threat and a physical presence bringing some much-needed attitude to the table.

Both qualities meshed quickly with David Krejci once they were finally together on the same line against the Devils, and immediately gave the playmaking center the kind of big, strong and offensively talented winger that he’s thrived with over the years. The whole experience also gave Backes an appreciation for his new home fans as they packed the stands to root on the Bruins Thursday night ahead of the Saturday night showdown with Montreal.

“There’s always, wherever you are, that opening night, that first game at home, that first game of the season, there’s always that extra jump, that extra energy in the building. It was everything it was talked up to be here with the fans that know the game and really thrive off the hard-nosed play,” said Backes, who has a couple of goals in four games with the Bruins this season. “It just makes you want to go out there and play harder for these people that support you, and wear that same jersey that we wear up in the stands.”

Backes had some of the best chances that didn’t go down for the Bruins against Cory Schneider, and narrowly missed a first period score when David Krejci’s centering pass was received, and then redirected by Backes just wide of the net from his spot camped in front. The right winger was at it again in the third period with a couple more chances he couldn’t put past Schneider, but served as proof that Krejci/Backes is going to have some long, possession-heavy shifts this season by virtue of both of their talents.

“There’s no doubt [the addition of Backes] helped. You’re getting, I guess, a veteran player that plays hard and goes in and gets some hits and gets some pucks out for you. But at the same time I think you have to give David [Krejci] credit, he’s been working hard trying to find his game again,” said Julien. 

“It’s not easy when you have gone through surgery like [Krejci] has, and you know he had a late start to training camp and jumping in with the rest of the group there so that really kind of sets him back a little bit but I like the direction that he is going, I think he is working hard in practice, doing extra and doing what it takes here to find his game. Tonight was one of his better games, no doubt.”

Now, Backes, Krejci and Heinen have to get rolling offensively and start to show their balanced attack among the forwards now that the entire roster seems to be locked down ahead of starting on time this weekend vs. Habs.