Should Sox have pursued deal? Felger says yes, Mazz says no

Should Sox have pursued deal? Felger says yes, Mazz says no
November 14, 2012, 11:47 pm
Share This Post

The price tag was steep -- Peter Gammons reported that Miami was asking for Will Middlebrooks, Felix Doubront, Xander Bogaerts and more -- so the Red Sox passed on the opportunity to acquire Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes, all three of whom were shipped instead to division rival Toronto. The question is, was it the right move?

Tony Massarotti says yes.

"I just don't think it makes sense for the Red Sox," the 'Felger & Mazz' co-host said Wednesday on 98.5 The Sports Hub.

The reason?

"Right now, they're probably the worst team in the A.L. East," he said. "Last year against Toronto, the Red Sox went 7-11. Their last 24 games against the Orioles, they're 6-18. So if anybody out there wants to suggest they're as good as either one of those teams right now, they're on Mars."

Michael Felger disagrees. He thinks the Sox are closer to contention than Massarotti does.

"If they just screw their heads on straight, they're better than the Orioles," he said. "I think the Rays . . . aren't they really that 85-90 win team based on their weak offense? . . . And I'm just going to keep saying it: The Yankees are too old and beat up . . .

"I don't know, I don't think you're giving up that much for Johnson, Buehrle and Reyes . . . I don't think that deal's that outrageous. I would have looked at it a little bit harder."