Seguin completely healthy after stint in Europe

934749.jpg

Seguin completely healthy after stint in Europe

The plan had always been for Bruins forward Tyler Seguin to wrap up his European experience with a stint playing for Team Canada in the Spengler Cup.

The 20-year-old Seguin and Bs teammate Patrice Bergeron helped capture the Spengler Cup with a 7-2 victory over HC Davos in Switzerland this weekend, a nice little bow on his Swiss adventure after potting 25 goals in 29 games for HC Biel.

There was one negative thing slightly marring the Biel experience, however.

A sketchy report cropped up over the weekend that quoted Biels general manager as saying that Seguin was leaving Switzerland because he was having issues with his hip, and that surgery was a remote possibility for the budding Bs superstar.

Seguin completely shot down the hip report when contacted by CSNNE.com, and confirmed that he is one million percent healthy as he gets ready to head back to Boston to wait out the NHL lockout.

I have no idea where that came from, said Seguin to CSNNE.com. I told them I was leaving with no injury reason.

Seguins words were backed up by the fact that he continued to star for Team Canada in the Spengler Cup after the reports cropped, and that the youngster has experienced exactly zero issues with his hip throughout his NHL career.

There was a report out of ESPNBoston.com last year that Seguin had a genetic predisposition to hip issues later in his career, but the Bruins didnt appear too concerned about that before inking him to a six-year contract extension in September.

So now the hope is that the NHL lockout ends in the next few weeks so Boston hockey fans can watch the speed, passing, skating and shooting display that Seguin put on in Switzerland over the last three months.

McAdam: Buchholz is the relief the Red Sox need

McAdam: Buchholz is the relief the Red Sox need

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- This is the kind of season it has been for Clay Buchholz:

A little more than a month ago, he was merely taking up space on the Red Sox roster, having been summarily removed from the rotation after three months of poor outings.

He was in the bullpen, but the Sox were loathe to use him. Asked, memorably, why Buchholz hadn't been the choice to serve as a long reliever in a game in which the starter departed early, John Farrell candidly noted, in not so many words, that because the Sox still had a chance to win the game, Buchholz didn't make sense as an option.

Ouch.

But slowly, Buchholz became more effective in his new relief role. And when injuries struck the rotation, Buchholz got himself three cameo starts, during which he posted a 2.70 ERA in 16 2/3 innings, topped by Tuesday's beauty -- 6 1/3 innings, one run allowed, nine strikeouts recorded.

Just as Buchholz has straightened out, however, Red Sox starters are suddenly stacked up like jets waiting for clearance to land at Logan Airport. Steven Wright returns from a brief DL stint Friday, and Eduardo Rodriguez is not far behind.

When he pitched poorly, the Red Sox didn't have any other options.

When he pitched well, the Red Sox have plenty of other choices.

So, now what?

"As far as Clay goes,'' said John Farrell, "this will be, I'm sure, a conversation (had) within (the organization). But setting that aside, he's throwing the ball exceptionally well right now.''

That's indisputable.

But the question remains: In what capacity will he throw the ball in the near future?

There's been a suggestion to keep Buchholz in the rotation while moving Drew Pomeranz to the bullpen. That would give the Sox a dependable lefty in relief -- as opposed to, say, Fernando Abad -- while also serving the dual purpose of putting a governor on Pomeranz's climbing innings total.

Pomeranz, who has plenty of bullpen experience in the big leagues, has also thrown 140 1/3 innings this season, eclipsing his previous major league high by nearly 40.

But Pomeranz is 27, not 21. He's shown no signs of fatigue. To the contrary, he's 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in his last four starts. The Sox shouldn't mess with his success.

Instead, Buchholz should become one of the team's high-leverage set-up weapons, available in the seventh or eighth inning.

True, Buchholz doesn't have the swing-and-miss capability you'd prefer to have in the eighth inning, where the fewer balls put in play, the better off you are. But he can get lefties and righties out, and, pitching out of the stretch full-time, he's greatly improved his command.

Buchholz would remain the best option for a spot start if one of the five Red Sox starters faltered or got hurt. But the bullpen remains the best choice for him.

Ironic, isn't it? When he pitched poorly, he remained in the rotation for several months. Now that he's pitching superbly, he can't earn a permanent spot.

It's been that kind of season.