Report: Red Sox and Pirates agree to Hanrahan trade

966763.jpg

Report: Red Sox and Pirates agree to Hanrahan trade

UPDATE: Saturday 10:15p - According to Gordon Edes, Mark Melancon could also be included in the trade for Joel Hanrahan.

Melancon recorded a 6.20 ERA in 45 relief innings with the Red Sox last year.

Saturday 4:35 - According to Jim Bowden, the Red Sox and Pirates have agreed on a deal.

Joel Hanrahan will head to the Red Sox, while Jerry Sands and pitching prospect Stolmy Pimentel will head to Pittsburgh.

Sands was acquired from Los Angeles in the deal that sent Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, and Carl Crawford to the Dodgers.

In two seasons with the Dodgers, Sands hit .244 with 4 home runs and 27 RBI.

As for Pimentel, he spent the past two seasons in Double-A Portland where he went 6-16 with a 5.96 ERA in 166 innings.

Saturday 4:10 - According to Jim Bowden of ESPN, the Red Sox and Pirates are finalizing the deal that would send Joel Hanrahan to the Red Sox.

Jerry Sands will, in fact, be part of the deal as Jon Heyman reported earlier in the day.

Saturday 3:50pm - Jerry Sands could be part of the deal, according to Jon Heyman.

Saturday 2:25pm - Jim Bowden revealed that the Red Sox would not include Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Jackie Bradley, Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa in a possible Hanrahan deal.

Additionally, Jon Heyman reported that Jose Iglesias is not part of the Red Sox current offer.

Saturday 1:12 - More bullpen help may be on the way for the Red Sox.

According to Gordon Edes, the Red Sox are close to a deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates that would bring Joel Hanrahan to Boston.

Hanrahan has saved 76 games for the Pirates over the past two seasons.

Also according to Edes, one official has reported that there is "still work to be done" in a possible deal.

The Pirates have previously shown interest in Red Sox shortstop Jose Iglesias as part of any package for Hanrahan.

More to come...

Pomeranz 'pretty comfortable' with potential move to bullpen

red_sox_drew_pomeranz_072516.jpg

Pomeranz 'pretty comfortable' with potential move to bullpen

NEW YORK -- If Drew Pomeranz is going to be part of the Red Sox' postseason plans, the team will likely have a better idea about that question by Thursday afternoon.

Pomeranz, who was scratched from his final scheduled start on Thursday because of soreness in his left forearm and general concern about his 2016 workload, will throw a 30-35 pitch bullpen.

If he responds well, he could then see some relief action over the final weekend at Fenway to determine his readiness for the playoffs.

"Before we even begin to map out a potential relief appearance over the weekend,'' said John Farrell, "we've got to get through that next step.''

Pomeranz pitched well in his last start at Tropicana Field over the weekend, but has been dealing with some discomfort in his forearm.

"I've had some soreness here, late in the year,'' Pomeranz said. "I've thrown more innings than I have ever (before), so we kind of sat down and talked about the best course of action the rest of the way.''

Pomeranz described what he felt as "just some soreness, probably from never covering this time of the year. It's a spot I've never been in before. We just decided the best thing to do was not making this last start and talk about maybe sliding into the bullpen.''

The lefty is no stranger to the bullpen, having pitched there as recently as last season while with Oakland.

"I've had the benefit of doing pretty much everything (in terms of roles),'' he said. "I'm pretty comfortable in any situation. If they see me helping there, obviously, that's where I want to be. But I don't know if it's a sure thing. We'll have to see how it goes.''

Meanwhile, another sidelined starter, Steven Wright, is expected to rejoin the team in Boston Friday. Wright threw a bullpen off the mound earlier this week in Fort Myers as he attempts to come back from inflammation in his shoulder.