Pacquiao's response to Mayweather bout

639620.jpg

Pacquiao's response to Mayweather bout

From Comcast SportsNet

MANILA, Philippines (AP)Manny Pacquiaos camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiaos financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas wont be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is foolish from an economic standpoint.

Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.

Manny Pacquiao Im calling you out lets fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see, he tweeted.

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence for domestic violence until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.

The MGM Grand seats about 17,000, which could fetch around 20 million in sales, but the larger arena could raise an additional 30 million, Koncz said.

Why would I tell Manny to fight on the 5th and throw away a percentage of 30 million? Thats crazy, he said.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has told the Philippines GMA television the only reason the fight wont happen is if there is an economic problem.

He said the fight could happen very, very easily at the end of May enough time to build the outdoor arena the fight so badly needs.

I will also guarantee Mannys purse, he said. In other words, Manny doesnt want to go into the ring and just fight out a percentage.

He said Mayweather is looking for outside parties to guarantee his end of the purse.

So, until he finds the angel, there is no fight, Arum said.

In a separate interview with GMA, Pacquiao said that if Mayweather agrees to a 50-50 sharing, there will be no problem.

The purse is not the issue right now, the date is, Koncz said. But we dont have a problem splitting it 50-50.

Patriots waive Stork after trade with Redskins falls through

Patriots waive Stork after trade with Redskins falls through

It's been a wild week for Bryan Stork. 

On Wednesday, news broke that Stork had been informed of his release. Then before that move became official, the Patriots and Redskins worked out a trade to send the third-year center to Washington. After that, indications were that Stork was retiring, and the Redskins were unsure as to whether or not he would even report.  He eventually decided to report, but ended up failing his physical, voiding the trade. 

Monday, Stork was returned to the Patriots, but the team has announced that they've waived the veteran center.

More to come...

 

After strong bullpen session, Koji Uehara could be back by Labor Day

red-sox-koji-uehara-072116.jpg

After strong bullpen session, Koji Uehara could be back by Labor Day

BOSTON - For a bullpen that could use all the help it can get right now, there's the prospect that Koji Uehara could rejoin the Red Sox on Labor Day.

Uehara, who's been out since July 20 with a strained pectoral muscle, threw a bullpen Monday at Fenway that impressed John Farrell.

"He came out of today's work session in good fashion,'' said Farrell. "It was 25 pitches to hitters with good intensity to both his fastball and split. It's been impressive to see how he's handled the volume, and now, three times on the mound, the intensity to his bullpens and BP.''

Next up for Uehara will be a bullpen session Wednesday morning, followed by a live batting practice session Saturday in Oakland.

Since both Pawtucket's and Portland's seasons are over on Labor Day, Uehara won't have the option of going on a rehab assignment to face hitters before being activated.

But the Sox believe that he can build arm strength through these side sessions and BP sessions -- enough so that he could return to the active roster soon.

"We'll re-assess where is after Sunday,'' said Farrell, "and I wouldn't rule out activation [after that]. What we've done with Koji is just review how he feels after each session and we'll take it from there.''

Uehara, 41, is 2-3 with a 4.50 ERA, and while he's had a propensity for giving up homers (eight in just 36 innings), he had been throwing better before being injured.

And given the performance of the bullpen in general and the recent poor showings from Matt Barnes, the Sox would welcome Uehara back as soon as he's ready.

"The one thing that Koji has proven to us,'' noted Farrell, "is that, even with limited spring training work [in the past], he's been a very effective pitcher for us and obviously, he has a chance to make a very positive impact once he does return.''

Uehara's progress since late July has been a pleasant surprise for the Sox, who feared at the time of the injury that he might be done for the season.     

"To his credit,'' said Farrell, "he's worked his tail off and advanced fairly rapidly and he's withstanding the intensity that he's put into [the work]. A healthy Koji certainly adds to our bullpen.

 

Red Sox among ‘roughly half’ of MLB who’ll attend Tebow workout Tuesday

Red Sox among ‘roughly half’ of MLB who’ll attend Tebow workout Tuesday

Maybe Tim Tebow could be the eighth-inning guy? 

OK, OK. Maybe not. Still, the Red Sox will be among the “roughly half” of the MLB teams who will attend the former Heisman Trophy winner and Patriots’ 2013 training camp phenomenon’s baseball tryout on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Tebow is 29 and hasn’t played organized baseball since he was a junior in high school. He was an All-State performer in Florida back then.

Based on his accuracy and mechanics throwing a football, maybe DH would suit Tebow better than the mound.