NHL labor talks in a deep freeze on Day 45 of lockout

916373.jpg

NHL labor talks in a deep freeze on Day 45 of lockout

Both sides of the NHL labor talks are communicating via emails and texts, according to various reports, but there are still no plans for the parties to formally meet as the lockout reached Day 45 on Tuesday.

NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr granted an interview with the Minneapolis Star-Tribune where he outlined whats been taking place since the NHL pulled their 5050 offer at the end of last week.

The league, on the other hand, has refused all requests to meet. It put talks into a deep freeze after reports indicated that the Winter Classic could be cancelled as soon as the end of this week.

The more things change, the harder it becomes, Fehr said in the interview with the Star-Tribune. Im not going to talk about future contingencies in the event we cant reach an agreement . . . Im not going to discuss what we might do in other proposals down the road.

We gave them three different approaches to have the player share fall over time. Its an eminently reasonable position, and their position seems to be to cut the share immediately, which has the effect of cutting the individual contracts, including ones they just signed a few weeks ago. Youve got to wonder how somebody can look at themselves in the mirror when they do that.

Fehr admitted in the interview that a splintering of the players union is a concern given how many NHL players dont want to miss another season as the league did during the 2004-05 season, but that doesnt mean that hes going to take a bad deal. The league is said to be planning their next move, and seems to be waiting as the heat continues to get dialed up against the out-of-work players.

Meanwhile both sides appear quietly and resolutely headed toward what could be a pivotal week for a negotiation that is trending toward an overwhelmingly negative outcome for both the players and the league. There shouldnt be any other cancellations this week aside from the Winter Classic if that does go on the chopping block, but one has to wonder how much value there is in any season at all if cancelled games move into December without their big outdoor attraction.

Here's a brief letter that NHLPA executive director Don Fehr sent to the leagues 700-plus players, provided by CSNWashington.com The letter reads:

At every opportunity we have continued to state that we are ready to meet and willing to discuss all open issues, including the owners last offer.

Nonetheless, to date, their group has declined to commit to a meeting unless it can dictate what the agenda is. We will update you further as soon as there is anything more to report.

Regards, Don.

Draw with Earthquakes extends Revolution's winless streak

revs_quakes_kei_kamara.jpg

Draw with Earthquakes extends Revolution's winless streak

SAN JOSE, Calif. - David Bingham had his sixth shutout of the season and the San Jose Earthquakes tied New England 0-0 on Wednesday night, extending the Revolution's winless streak to five games.

Bingham, who was tied for second in MLS soccer with 12 shutouts last season, had three saves - including a stop on Diego Fagundez's shot in the 86th minute.

The Revolution haven't scored since a 3-1 victory over Chicago on Aug. 9, a stretch of more than 270 minutes.

New England (6-11-8) had beaten San Jose three straight times.

San Jose (7-7-10) has just one loss in its last seven matches. 

Quotes, notes and stars: Ortiz the oldest to hit 30 home runs in a season

red_sox_david_ortiz_082416.jpg

Quotes, notes and stars: Ortiz the oldest to hit 30 home runs in a season

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Quotes, notes and stars from the Red Sox' 4-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays:

QUOTES:

"It's one of those freak things. You don't plan on it happening, but it's one of those things. So we'll just see what the results say and move on from there.'' - Andrew Benintendi on his knee injury.

"That's kind of a routine 3-1 play. Unfortunately, it comes at a time when you've got two outs and a guy on the move. But that's a routine play.'' - John Farrell on the deciding play in which Heath Hembree couldn't hold onto the ball at first.

"I felt good. I felt strong.I felt good out there the whole game.'' - Rick Porcello, asked how he felt going back out for the eighth inning.

"I think everybody in the ballpark knew that that ball was leaving.'' - Porcello, on the hanging curveball to Evan Longoria.

 

NOTES:

* The loss snapped a five-game winning streak against the Rays for the Red Sox.

* Three of the four Red Sox walk-off losses this season have occurred because of errors.

* The homer by Evan Longoria was his first off Rick Porcello in 40 career at-bats.

* Rick Porcello has now pitched seven innings or more in six straight starts, the longest run for a Red Sox starter since John Lackey did it in 2013.

* David Ortiz is now the oldest player to ever hit 30 homers in a season

* Ortiz has now reached the 30-homer, 100-RBI level 10 times with the Red Sox, including the last four years in a row.

* The loss was the first of Heath Hembree's career, in his 67th major league appearance.

* Dustin Pedroia tied a career high with two stolen bases, the 12th time he's swiped two bases in the same game.

 

STARS:

1) Evan Longoria

The Rays were down to their final five outs when Longoria struck, hitting a game-tying homer off Rick Porcello.

2) Brad Miller

Miller's two-run double in the third enabled the Rays to stay close until Longoria's homer tied things up five innings later.

3) Rick Porcello

Porcello gave the Sox length and was brilliant in getting out of some early jams before settling in through the middle innings.