Nadal says ATP not concerned about players' health

Nadal says ATP not concerned about players' health
February 12, 2013, 10:04 am
Share This Post

Spain's Rafael Nadal reacts during the VTR Open final tennis game against Argentina's Horacio Zeballos in Vina del Mar, Chile, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013. Nadal lost to Zeballos 6-7 (2), 7-6 (6), 6-4 in Sunday's final of the VTR Open, the Spaniard's comeback tournament after seven months out with a torn tendon in his left knee. (AP Photo/Luis Hidalgo)

(APWF)

SAO PAULO (AP) Rafael Nadal says the ATP is not doing enough to protect players' health, claiming the increased number of tournaments on hard courts will lead to long-term injuries and affect players after they retire.

Nadal is in Brazil to play his second tournament after a seven-month layoff to recover from a left-knee injury. He lost in the final in Chile last week.

Nadal says leaders of the men's tour aren't thinking of ways to lengthen players' careers.

He says tennis is the only major sport where players are forced to play on cement, and it's a health issue that must involve doctors and players.