Jets players still recovering from Hurricane Irene

527118.jpg

Jets players still recovering from Hurricane Irene

From Comcast SportsNet Tuesday, August 30, 2011
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Bart Scott's home in New Jersey has no power because of Hurricane Irene, and he's unsure when the lights will go back on. Still, the New York Jets linebacker considers himself one of the lucky ones. Several neighborhoods near the Jets' facility in Florham Park were flooded when the storm hit the metropolitan area Sunday and have severe water damage, along with power outages. "The other people need to be helped first," said Scott, whose house in Mendham had no flood damage. "I'll lose some food. I think a lot of my fish died. I've got a salt-water tank. Those are things that can be replaced." The Jets beat the Giants 17-3 in a preseason game Monday that was originally scheduled for Saturday night, and then pushed to Saturday afternoon before being postponed two days because of the then-approaching storm. Scott said he'll be staying in a hotel for at least five more days while the area recovers. "I've got trees, I've got five telephone poles out," he said. "They have to put the telephone poles back up before they can even attempt to put the power back up. I'll be out a long time." He felt for the people in other areas who are a lot worse off than he and several of his teammates. "You've got people who lost things and lost property," Scott said. "That's more important than me having to sit in the dark a couple of days. I can go to a hotel and wait it out. It's no big deal. Next time, I'll have a generator and I'll be fine. I'll call all the people in Morristown and let them come up and pay rent." The Jets' training facility also lost power Sunday, and is operating off an existing generator. Areas critical to team operations, such as for coaching, and personnel, plus team meeting rooms, the training room and football video room are working with backup power. The Jets' media relations and ticketing departments have been working out of the training facility. The Jets briefly held meetings at the facility earlier Monday before they headed to MetLife Stadium for the preseason game. Starting Tuesday, the majority of the Jets' business support staff will work out of the stadium. Several of the Jets players who live near the facility are also without power, including right guard Brandon Moore. "Some guys had some flooding in their basements, but a lot of guys were OK," Moore said. "But I'm in Morristown, so it kind of hit them and shut them down there. We'll be OK, though."

Price asks Red Sox fans for support: 'We will get through this'

boston-red-sox-david-price-presser-120515.jpg

Price asks Red Sox fans for support: 'We will get through this'

If you're upset with the way the Red Sox have played recently, well, David Price understands.

But things, he vows, will get better. And he adds that it's only when you've been in the deepest valley that you can appreciate the highest mountain.

Or something like that . . .

Rodriguez shipped back to PawSox as Sox seek rotation answers

Rodriguez shipped back to PawSox as Sox seek rotation answers

After Eduardo Rodriguez's horrific performance Monday night against the Rays -- 11 hits and 9 earned runs allowed in 2 2/3 innings, leading to a 13-7 Red Sox loss to a team that entered the game riding an 11-game losing streak -- the Sox succumbed to the obvious and shipped him back to Pawtucket.  

And they got no argument from Sean McAdam.

"I think this is the right move," CSN's Red Sox Insider told Dalen Cuff on Monday night's SportsNet Central. "Because, clearly, the step forward that [Rodriguez] took, however small, last week was more than wiped out and (he) regressed this evening the way he pitched. And things have to be worked out, both in terms of execution and his approach . . . "

In six starts this season covering 29 1/3 innings -- less than five innings a start -- Rodriguez has been, in a word, awful. His 1-3 record is bad enough, but couple that with an 8.59 ERA, an opponents' batting average of .315, a WHIP of 1.74 and nine home runs allowed (a rate that projects out to about 45 homers allowed in a 150-inning season), and you can see why a change had to be made.

“The bottom line is, [Rodriguez] is capable of more," said manager John Farrell.

But now comes the next question: Who replaces him? And that, noted McAdam, has no easy answer.

"What it means for the rotation going forward is completely uncertain," McAdam told Cuff. "In fact, (Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski) told us that there was no corresponding move. Of course, because this turn doesn't come up in the rotation for another five days with the off-day Thursday, it's not anything they need to address (immediately). And in all likelihood, they'll probably get somebody to pitch out of the bullpen here until that turn comes up."

So the Sox get five days to ponder a problem that seems, in many ways unsolvable.

"[There] aren't a lot of good candidates internally," McAdam noted, "and it's unlikely there's going to be any sort of trade . . . in the next four days to fill that spot