Issues unresolved at Jerry Sandusky pretrial hearing

611574.jpg

Issues unresolved at Jerry Sandusky pretrial hearing

From Comcast SportsNet
BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) -- The judge overseeing former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sex-abuse case said he would rule later on a number of issues raised at a pretrial hearing Thursday, including a request to have the charges dismissed. During a 20-minute hearing that Sandusky attended, defense attorney Joe Amendola asked Judge John Cleland -- if he opts to deny that request -- to deny it without prejudice so he can raise it again later. Prosecutors said more information about Sandusky's conduct could result from an ongoing grand jury investigation. Cleland met with attorneys behind closed doors after the hearing to set deadlines for disclosure of other information before trial, including anything resulting from the grand jury investigation. Amendola also told the court that the attorneys for two key witnesses -- Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz -- had informed him they would invoke the Fifth Amendment if called to testify at Sandusky's trial. Curley and Schultz are charged with perjury and failing to report allegations of child abuse. Both have pleaded not guilty. In a catch-all pretrial motion filed last month, Amendola argued some charges were not specific enough, there was not enough evidence in some cases, and the statute of limitations may have expired for others. Sandusky, 68, faces 52 criminal counts for alleged abuse of 10 boys over 15 years. He is confined to home while awaiting trial and has repeatedly denied the charges. Both sides agree that prospective jurors should be questioned individually, and sequestered during the trial now set to begin June 5.

Report: Red Sox acquire Chris Sale

Report: Red Sox acquire Chris Sale

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- The Red Sox -- who came away with the top starting pitcher (David Price) and top reliever (Craig Kimbrel) last offseason -- apparently have done it again.

According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Sox have acquired White Sox ace left-hander Chris Sale for four prospects. Two have been identified (infielder Yoan Moncada and pitcher Michael Kopech) and two are as-yet unnamed:

More to come . . . 

Vatrano takes 'step in the right direction' in return to practice

Vatrano takes 'step in the right direction' in return to practice

BRIGHTON, Mass -- The Bruins lost Matt Beleskey for six weeks to a knee injury this week, and now they’re hoping to get another winger back now that 22-year-old Frank Vatrano has rejoined the Bruins at practice.

Vatrano was wearing a red no-contact jersey at Tuesday’s practice at Warrior Ice Arena, but his presence along with the other players at the team skate means that he’s moving closer toward a return to the B’s lineup. While initial timetables for his recovery from foot surgery had him in the early January range for returning to the Bruins lineup, it appears that he might be at least a couple of weeks ahead of that initial expectation.

Either way Vatrano is happy to be back on the ice with his teammates after the torn ligaments in his foot wiped out his training camp and the first two plus months of the regular season for him.

“It was a big step for me today. It was nice to be out there with the guys for the first time,” said Vatrano, who scored a combined 44 goals last season for Providence and Boston in a breakout season with the B’s organization. “I’ve gone through the rehab and done everything I need to do to get back playing, so now the next step is getting back on the ice with the guys. I felt great, so now it’s just waiting to hear the news when I start playing again.”

While Vatrano is still a young, relatively inexperienced player with just one full year of pro hockey under his belt, the sense from the Bruins is that he’s going to help a team that’s currently ranked 25th in the NHL in offense. Claude Julien was encouraged by seeing him out there in the red, no-contact jersey that his teammates were chirping him about, and said that his level play at last spring’s world championships should give him confidence when he jumps back into a big role with the Black and Gold.

“It’s a step in the right direction for Frank. That’s the best way for him to get to the pace of our game because it’s going to take a while when you’ve been out that long,” said Vatrano. “I think his experience at world championships last year is a real blessing in disguise because he gained a lot of confidence there. I think that’s going to help him a lot more than had he not gone.

“He played against a lot of elite players last year, and he fared really well. I think he’ll be coming in now with some confidence, and we just have to sure coming in that we give him every opportunity to succeed by using him properly, and giving him a chance to find his game.”

That certainly sounds like the Bruins are preparing for a top-6 role and maybe some power play time once the young, sharp-shooting Vatrano is back up to full speed. That should be fun to watch once he’s ready to play, and ready to again unleash that shot and release that rivals anybody else for tops on the Bruins roster.