Heisman Trophy favorite attacked for no reason

833311.jpg

Heisman Trophy favorite attacked for no reason

From Comcast SportsNet
MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Five men roughed up star Wisconsin running back Montee Ball near campus early Wednesday, inflicting head injuries serious enough to send him to the hospital, authorities said. Ball was walking down a street around 2:15 a.m. after "socializing" with friends, police spokesman Joel DeSpain said. Two friends walking ahead of him turned around and saw Ball on the ground. The men had surrounded him and were kicking him in the head and chest, DeSpain said. One of his friends and a man across the street moved to help Ball and the attackers fled, DeSpain said. No other Badger players were with Ball, he said. Witnesses said Ball may have exchanged words with the men before they attacked him, DeSpain said. The motive for the attack remains a mystery. Ball told investigators his cellphone is missing, but it's unclear whether the attackers stole it or someone just happened to pick it up, DeSpain said. "We're going to take a look at whether the victim was targeted for who he is," DeSpain said. Ball, a Heisman Trophy finalist last season as a junior, was taken to a hospital with head injuries, police said. Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said Ball was released and under the care of the school's sports medicine staff. The Badgers open practice Monday. The season opener is Sept. 1 at home against Northern Iowa. Bielema said his staff will evaluate Ball in the coming days but he expects the senior will make a full recovery. Wisconsin spokesman Brian Lucas said Ball was resting at home Wednesday. Ball, a 21-year-old native of Wentzville, Mo., posted Twitter entries reassuring his fans he'll be all right. "I appreciate the support and thank you for the concerns," Ball wrote. "I will be okay! See you guys in September!" Ball had a stellar season last year, scoring 39 touchdowns to tie Barry Sanders' NCAA record. He finished the year with 1,923 yards rushing and 2,229 all-purpose yards, second in Wisconsin history only to Ron Dayne's 2,242 yards in 1996. Ball capped the season by rushing for 164 yards and a touchdown in the Badgers' 45-38 loss to Oregon in the Rose Bowl. He announced days after the bowl game he would return for his senior season after NFL evaluators told him he would have likely been a third-round pick. Wisconsin has been hyping his return heavily, creating a website entitled "This Fall Belongs to Ball." The site notes he needs 18 touchdowns to become the NCAA's all-time leader, features a new personal logo for Ball, an "M" and a "B" with his number 28 superimposed over the letters, and a video clip of Ball inches from the camera declaring, "I'm back" followed by his scoring highlights. Police issued Ball a trespassing ticket in May after he stepped unwanted onto a Madison porch during an annual end-of-the-year student street party. The area where Ball was attacked is on the edge of the Wisconsin campus and features multiple bars. Police have been dealing with what they say are combative crowds in the vicinity all summer. Three people were hurt in a May shooting outside two bars about a block from where Ball was assaulted. Two men mugged a 17-year-old boy in the same block as the shooting during the early morning hours of July 21. That same day, a 35-year-old man reported to police that someone had been stabbed after leaving a bar in the same block. The next morning, again in that same block, multiple fights broke out on the sidewalks, forcing a police officer to use pepper spray to break up three brawls. Police deployed extra patrols in the area last weekend.

Felger: Bruins have no choice but to overpay for defenseman

cp-felger-1.jpg

Felger: Bruins have no choice but to overpay for defenseman

Yes, four first-round picks for Jacob Trouba is crazy.

Yes, two firsts and David Pastrnak for Kevin Shattenkirk is stupid.

And, of course, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson is ridiculous. (Remember Bruins fans: As bad as it's been, it could be worse. Peter Chiarelli could still be here.)

No one is disputing that the asking price for good, young defensemen across the NHL has gone haywire. If you're acquiring one of those players, you are likely going to lose the deal, and that's no way to run a franchise.

But here's the question for the Bruins: What's the alternative? Do the Bruins want to try and win in the Patrice Bergeron window or not?

That's what it comes down to for the B's. Bergeron will turn 31 in three weeks, and while he may have plenty of seasons left, his time as one of the best two-way players in the NHL is certainly more finite. He will likely be out of that elite status by the time anyone currently in the B's system develops into the type of No. 1 defenseman the team so desperately needs -- if there's even anyone who fits that description in the first place.

In other words, if the B's want a top-pairing defenseman anytime soon, they're going to have to pay for it. Or overpay for it. Draft picks. Players. Offer sheets. Whatever. Something unappealing is going to have to go out the door.

If there's another way, I'd like to know what it is. There's virtually nothing to choose from in the unrestricted pool. And everyone on the current depth chart is either too old, too young or too crappy.

So four first-rounders and a $7 million annual cap hit for Trouba? That's an impossible price to wrap your head around, until you consider the alternatives.

Ideally, the B's are using that Jets offer sheet threat as a leverage play, an attempt to create options in hopes the Blues lower their ask on Shattenkirk, or the Ducks lower their price on Cam Fowler. Maybe the B's have been trying to work a trade with the Jets for Trouba himself and are just bringing a hammer to the table. Lower your demands or we'll offer sheet him. Perhaps that offer sheet isn't even a realistic consideration and is nothing more than noise.

I have no idea. The only thing I know is that the B's still stink on D.

The players they have drafted the last few years may not be any good, and if they are it will be a half-decade before they're capable of playing the kind of playoff minutes necessary to contend for a Cup. The Bruins keep saying they want to contend now, which is pretty much impossible given the personnel on the blue line.

So what do they want? To wait for the kids and blow the rest of Bergeron's prime? Or give up an exorbitant price in a deal they'll very likely lose?

I'd probably lean towards the later, but there's really no right answer. It's called Bruins.

Email Felger at mfelger@comcastsportsnet.com. Listen to Felger and Mazz daily from 2-6 p.m. The simulcast runs on CSN.

OFFSEASON

Report: Durant will be meeting with Celtics on Saturday

Report: Durant will be meeting with Celtics on Saturday

Kevin Durant’s weekend of free agent visits has come into focus on the final day of June.

According to David Aldridge of NBA.com, the Boston Celtics will be meeting with the free agent superstar on Saturday.

After meeting with Durant on Saturday, the Celtics should have a better idea if they will need to waive Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko before Sunday's July 3 deadline. Waiving the duo would create additional salary cap space to potentially sign Durant and another near max-salaried player.