From Comcast SportsNetNEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL has made no decisions on where or when the 2013 Pro Bowl will be played.ESPN reported Thursday that Commissioner Roger Goodell is "strongly considering" suspending the game for the upcoming season."No determination has been made yet about this season's game," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press. "We have been in discussions with the union about the future of the Pro Bowl."Goodell expressed his dissatisfaction with the low quality of play in the AFC's 59-41 win in Honolulu in January, a game that often resembled touch football. Many players chosen for the game bow out, and if the Pro Bowl is held before the Super Bowl, as in the last three years, players from the conference champions don't participate.It still gets solid TV ratings -- although viewership dropped 8.1 percent in January, the Pro Bowl still was the highest-rated sports program of the weekend.But it's also costly, particularly when played in Hawaii. And with so many defections-- there were 20 replacements for non-participating players in 2012, including Pro Bowlers from the Giants and Patriots who were otherwise occupied with the Super Bowl -- is the game still considered something special by the players?Newly elected NFLPA President Domonique Foxworth tweeted Thursday: "The Pro Bowl is an important tradition we are in talks with the league to improve and preserve the game for our players and fans"Hawaii started hosting the game in 1980 and it was held there annually until 2010, when it was moved to Miami and played the week before the Super Bowl there. Before moving it that year, the NFL expressed the need for a more modern stadium in Hawaii to host the Pro Bowl.The game returned to Hawaii in 2011, but the site for next year's game is up in the air, given the discussions between the league and the union."We have had lots of talks with the players about the Pro Bowl," NFL counsel Jeff Pash said last week. "When should it be played? Where? And certainly the quality of the game."We understand what contributes to the low quality of the game. It does not mean very much either financially or competitively. Players are reluctant to participate in a way that they could be injured. It's not going to ever look like a playoff game, but it needs to improve so fans don't say, I feel bad watching it.'"
Mike Felger and Marc Bertrand discuss what Boston Bruins fans have learned from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
In a game of Grab Bag, Trenni Kusnierek and Gary Tanguay discuss the best player to wear No. 5 in Boston sports history. They also touch on what the biggest rip-off is in Foxboro: Tom Brady’s $200 cookbook or $40 parking at Gillette?
“I hate that cookbook so much. It’s just emblematic of everything that’s wrong with the top one percent,” said Trenni Kusnierek. “Take that avocado ice cream and shove it. I’m gonna go eat some thick, fatty custard.”
Brady might say Trenni will 'feel the burn' in her arteries if she doesn’t follow the rules of his cookbook. But, sorry Tom, the far majority of Americans can’t afford to spend a whole paycheck on a book, of all things, nevermind support the diet the book teaches.
At least at Gillette you get to enjoy a football game.
BOSTON – The list of players who will be in attendance at the NBA pre-draft combine in Chicago next week has been released.
And not surprisingly, there are some projected near the top of the NBA draft board who will not be in attendance.
LSU’s one-and-done stud Ben Simmons, projected to be among the top two players selected, will not be in attendance.
Joining Simmons among the more notable players who won’t be in Chi-town is Croatian big man Dragan Bender whose current team Maccabi Tel Aviv is still in the middle of their season. He is projected by most as being the third overall pick.
Providence star guard Kris Dunn, projected as a top-10 pick, will be among those in attendance, as well as his Friars teammate Ben Bentil.
The Celtics usually cast a pretty wide net at the combine, but this year it’ll likely be even wider due to the fact that Boston has eight picks that represents 13.3 percent of the draft.
Boston has three first-round picks, with the first to be determined during the draft lottery later this month. The pick comes from Brooklyn, and will be no worse than the sixth overall selection.
The Celtics also have the 16th and 23rd overall picks in the first round, along with five (31st, 35th, 45th, 51st and 58th) in the second round.
Here's the full list of prospects attending the NBA Combine:
|Ron Baker||Wichita State|
|Cat Barber||North Carolina State|
|Malik Beasley||Florida State|
|DeAndre Bembry||St. Joseph's|
|Joel Bolomboy||Weber State|
|Deyonta Davis||Michigan State|
|Demetrius Jackson||Notre Dame|
|Justin Jackson||North Carolina|
|Brice Johnson||North Carolina|
|Thon Maker||Orangeville Prep/Athlete Institute|
|Isaiah Miles||St. Joseph's|
|Malik Newman||Mississippi State|
|Georges Niang||Iowa State|
|Marcus Paige||North Carolina|
|Gary Payton II||Oregon State|
|Zhou Qi||Xinjiang (China)|
|Pascal Siakam||New Mexico State|
|Denzel Valentine||Michigan State|
|Isaiah Whitehead||Seton Hall|