Kevin Walsh checks in with the latest sports news, including John Henry responding via e-mail to yesterday's Yahoo! Sports report and the Patriots getting Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and Brandon Lloyd back at practice.
Devin McCourty joins Tom E. Curran and new co-host Jerod Mayo on Quick Slants to answer some tweets, including first impressions on rookies and upcoming challenges for the Patriots this season.
Three things we learned from the Red Sox' 4-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers
BOSTON - Quotes, notes and stars from the Red Sox' 4-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers:
"He pitched as we had anticipated at the time of the trade.'' - John Farrell on Drew Pomeranz.
"I had a good curveball and I was locating my fastball a lot better. I was in a lot better counts all night, but I made one pitch that hurt us.'' - Pomeranz on his outing.
"He was able to limit the damage against a very good offensive team. He pitched well enough to win. I just wish we could have put more runs on the board for him.'' - Jackie Bradley Jr. on Pomeranz.
* Until Monday night, the Red Sox had won their last six series openers.
* Drew Pomeranz has allowed four or fewer hits in 12 of his 18 starts this season.
* Eleven of Travis Shaw's last 15 hits have been for extra bases.
* Jackie Bradley Jr. had his 25th multi-hit game.
* Sandy Leon is hitting .500 (11-for-22) with runners in scoring position.
* The Red Sox are 21-21 in games decided by two or fewer runs.
* Dustin Pedroia (walk, single) has reached base in 28 straight games.
* Xander Bogaerts has 133 hits through 97 games. Since 1940, only Wade Boggs (134 in 1983; 135 in 1987) and Adrian Gonzalez (135 in 2011) had more.
1) Justin Verlander
Verlander has enjoyed a bounce-back season of sorts this year, and the Red Sox got to see it up close Monday night as Verlander limited them a single run over six innings.
2) Jose Iglesias
The former Red Sox shortstop haunted his old team with a two-run homer in the sixth to put the Tigers ahead to stay.
3) Drew Pomeranz
The lefty absorbed the loss, but pitched well enough to win, giving up two runs in six innings while striking out seven.