David Beckham's latest career move

628770.jpg

David Beckham's latest career move

From Comcast SportsNet

DOHA, Qatar (AP) -- David Beckham is set to stay with the Los Angeles Galaxy after turning down a chance to join Paris Saint-Germain, the French club said Tuesday. After weeks of negotiations with PSG, the 36-year-old midfielder and former England captain decided he doesn't want to move his family from the United States. "David Beckham is not coming," PSG President Nasser al-Khelaifi said at the Qatar Open tennis tournament. "We feel a little disappointed. But both sides agreed it would be better that we not do the deal ... maybe in the future." Beckham's five-year contract with the Galaxy ended after he won his first MLS Cup in November. He was wooed by several clubs across Europe. "David Beckham is (with) Los Angeles," al-Khelaifi said. "And he's going to stay there." Beckham will try to finalize a new deal this week with the Galaxy, which was paying him an annual base salary of 6.5 million. French media had reported Beckham would have been paid almost double that at PSG, whose Qatari owners have spent more than 100 million on players during six months in charge. Beckham and wife Victoria, a former member of the "Spice Girls," moved to California in 2007 after he left Real Madrid. The celebrity couple now have four children and decided during a Christmas break in England that they did not want to move back to Europe permanently. "I'm very proud of the time that I've spent with the Galaxy and it might continue," Beckham stressed recently. The Galaxy's recent success and the signing of Ireland captain Robbie Keane have shown Beckham that the LA club can meet his ambitions for the final years of his career, which began at Manchester United. Beckham also has expressed hope of playing for Britain's soccer team at the London Olympics. The new MLS season starts in March.

Patriots-Saints trade fills gap in 2016 NFL Draft

belichick.jpg

Patriots-Saints trade fills gap in 2016 NFL Draft

The Patriots sent their 61st overall pick to the Saints on Friday night in exchange for the 78th and 112th overall picks. 

That addresses a large gap the Patriots would have had after they selected at 96. Previously, the Patriots were going to wait 100 selections - until late in the fifth - before they were on the clock again. 

Now they are in position to get a body in that stretch. Their picks are now 78, 91, 96, 112, 196, 204, 208, 214, 221, 243 and 250. 

Barring more trades, the Patriots will end their night with four new players. 

McAdam: Gordon suspension is proof MLB testing works

sncmlbpeds0429161461971039874_3450k_1280x720_676636227699.jpg

McAdam: Gordon suspension is proof MLB testing works

Kevin Millar, John Farrell and Sean McAdam talk about Dee Gordon’s 80-game suspension for PED violations.

2016 NFL Draft: Patriots select CB Cyrus Jones with 60th pick

cyrus_jones0420161461193699273_3450k_1280x720_670288451548.jpg

2016 NFL Draft: Patriots select CB Cyrus Jones with 60th pick

The addition of Cyrus Jones means the Patriots now have a young corner with ball skills to add to their stable of capable corners.

Malcolm Butler, obviously, is their lead corner and – with him being a restricted free agent after this season – will be sticking around.

Logan Ryan was the starter on the other side with rookie Justin Coleman showing some ability late in the season after coming into the league undrafted.

Jones is a shorter corner – 5-10 – so he may have some slot corner relevance. He’s also a very good punt returner, taking back four for touchdowns last year. The Patriots have been relying for years on Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola to take back punts so Jones – once he’s up to speed with the return game and expectations in Foxboro – figures to be dropped into that capacity as well.

Daryl Roberts, a seventh-round pick from Marshall, is also on the roster as is E.J. Biggers, a former Eagle signed as a free agent.

With Jones, Ryan and Butler, the team has three corners with very good ball skills.