Curran: Revis to Patriots "extreme long shot"

Curran: Revis to Patriots "extreme long shot"
March 7, 2014, 9:15 pm
Share This Post
"[Revis thinks] he's a combination of Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson as a cornerback." - Tom E. Curran.

It's been quite some time since the Patriots made a big splash in free agency. 

That, however, doesn't stop the rumor mill from churning out one hair-brained proposal after another. 

The latest franchise-altering player to be connected to the Patriots? Darrelle Revis.

Patriots Insider Tom E. Curran joins Gary Tanguay and Kirk Minihane on Arbella Early Edition to discuss the odds of Revis Island re-locating to New England. 

"I think it's an extreme long-shot," says Curran. "[Revis has] got a $16 million cap hit every year. The Patriots just don't do business that way."

At the end of the day, even putting money aside, there just doesn't seem to be a fit. 

Does a player with considerable talent but an ego the size of an island have a place in the team-first culture that Bill Belichick has built in New England?

Not likely.

"[Revis] has been built up so egregiously by Rex Ryan and the New York media, and really the national media to a point, that he is a combination of Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson as a cornerback," says Curran. "He’s a nice player, but god it’s not as if the world should end, and he’s under that impression, that if he’s not out there team’s aren’t going to be able to throw."

Revis enjoyed a stretch in New York in which he was unquestionably the most dominant cornerback in the league. But then he got hurt. And traded. His performance in a Bucs uniform hasn't instilled the same type of fear in opposing quarterbacks as his play with the Jets. Plenty of questions remain about how much Revis has left in the tank.

"Has he won a playoff game in the last few years," asks Curran. "How many seasons has he finished without injury?"

If the Patriots aren't able to swing a deal for Revis or re-sign their own shut-down corner in Aqib Talib, they will have a gaping hole in a defense that already has a number of question marks.

What about Vince Wilfork?

The Patriots would like Wilfork to re-structure his contract to free up some cap space and there's speculation that the Patriots could even consider releasing Wilfork if they can't come to some sort of agreement. Curran says it's more a case of the Patriots wanting Wilfork to re-structure rather than requiring him to with the threat of release if he doesn't comply.

Curran pegs the odds at 60% chance Wilfork re-structures and 15% chance he gets cut, leaving a 25% chance that nothing happens at all.