There was some concern about Clay Buchholz going into his start in Game 4 of the World Series due to tightness in his right shoulder, the same one that knocked him out of commission for three months during the regular season. Nevertheless, Red Sox manager John Farrell gave his right-hander the ball. Through two innings,…
Lou Merloni and Gary Tanguay debate who is the most important member of the New England Patriots.
CHICAGO -- Eduardo Rodriguez's return to the Red Sox rotation is going to take a little while longer.
Rodriguez will make at least one more rehab start for Pawtucket Sunday before the Red Sox re-assess his progress.
There had been some thought that Rodriguez would need only two outings on his rehab assignment. But the decision was made Wednesday to give him at least one more.
Rodriguez had a good outing for Pawtucket Tuesday night, allowing three runs on five hits in six innings of work.
All three runs came in the first inning, after which he showed improvement. "From the second to the sixth innings,'' said Farrell, "they were probably more crisp, more sharp. Looking for that to continue to advance."
Rodriguez, too, said he felt better than he did the first time out, when he allowed three runs in just 3 2/3 innings.
"I feel more control of the ball,'' he said. "I feel more comfortable throwing the ball in the game. Physically, I feel fine. I just see how everything goes every day like bullpens, running and everything. I just want to get back as fast as I can. But I want to get back 100 percent, I don't want to get back at 70 percent and go out there and don't do like I normally do."
Rodriguez, of course, has missed the first month of the season after tweaking his knee at the beginning of spring training.
"The first start I made in Pawtucket,'' recalled Rodriguez, ''I was thinking too much on my knee. Every pitch I'm throwing, I'm thinking like 'Don't push too much,' but (Tuesday) night it was every pitch I'm throwing just thinking of the game and not my knee."
After throwing 84 pitches Tuesday night, the Red Sox want him to get his pitch count over 90 in his next outing.
''I think with each outing he's getting, he's gaining more confidence and feeling more maybe natural and free on the mound," Farrell said.
WALTHAM, Mass. – There was very little sizzle in the moves made by Boston during last season, one in which they were hoping would be a summer full of basketball fireworks.
Well the bar is once again set relatively high for the Celtics this offseason, one in which the chances of making an impact, fireworks-worthy deal appear to be even better now than they were a year ago.
The Celtics have Brooklyn’s first-round pick in next month’s draft that has a 15.6 percent chance of being the top overall selection, and will be no worse than the sixth overall pick.
That’s just the first of eight picks for the Celtics in next month’s draft.
Boston has the potential to shed enough salary to offer a pair of near-max contracts to free agents this summer.
“We look forward to every offseason,” said Danny Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations. “This offseason is bigger. My expectations are high this offseason. And yet I also know that it takes good fortune.”
There’s the NBA draft lottery later this month.
“We need some ping-pong balls to bounce our way, give us the best opportunity,” Ainge said.
The Celtics own Brooklyn’s first-round pick courtesy of the Kevin Garnett/Paul Pierce trade with Brooklyn in 2013. That pick will be no worse than the sixth overall selection this season but has a 15.6 percent chance of being the top overall selection.
“Whether we use that pick, trade that pick and … in free agency we have opportunities. That’s all we have,” Ainge said. “We have no guarantees of great things happening. We have a lot of hope. We have a lot of work ahead of us. We have to have Plan A through Z; usually it’s A through G.”