Each day, the Comcast SportsNet staff gathers in the early afternoon to discuss that evening's Arbella Early Edition show. And each afternoon, Gary Tanguay will post the minutes of that meeting, giving you an idea of what to expect on that night's show, which begins at 6:30 p.m.
DATE: Wednesday, March 5, 2014
SITE: CSNNE Conference Room
TOPIC: Arbella Early Edition Content
ATTENDING: Bill Walsh, show producer (called Coach by others; oh, that's original); Jason Levine, Web master; Phil Perry, Web guy with laptop; Adam Hart, Web guy with camera. And featuring . . . Gary Tanguay
NOTICEABLY ABSENT: Kevin Miller, senior news director, and John Zannis, Miller’s right-hand man. (Rumored reason: A high-level corporate lunch, meaning FREE FOOD!)
1. Tonight’s guest, Bob Ryan, joins us from his rotary phone. He agrees with Coach, I mean Bill, that the NHL trade deadline and Aqib Talib testing free agency are the leads. I say we should lead with Talib. Even though the trade deadline is today, people love football talk more than hockey talk; our ratings show it. We decide to lead with Talib. All in the meeting agree with my concern from last fall that Talib’s hip is a ticking time bomb. Do not give this guy a multiyear deal.
2. Bill brings up Danny Ainge on the Sports Hub throwing Rajon Rondo under the bus again by admitting they told Rondo not to stay in L.A. We all agree this should be in our third segment (C block) with Bob. Also, we'll discuss how Brad Stevens is handling transition to the NBA.
3. At 12:55 p.m., managing editor Morry Levine walks into the meeting to discuss our future guest list. (Morry books all of our guests for all shows.)
4. At 12:58 p.m., I check a message on my phone and tick off the entire room. It's Glenn Ordway calling. No, I'm not going on the new Big Show. However, I do wish the Big O the best of luck.
5. Adam Hart resumes the meeting by saying he was listening to Gresh and Zo -- or, as Hardy calls them, Rhino 1 and Rhino 2 -- and a caller said the Bruins never go after big names and he wants them to get a big name. Whoa . . . the Bruins went after Tomas Kaberle, who was the biggest name available at the time, three years ago, and did the same with Jarome Iginla last year. Plus, the Bruins don't need a big name. They just need another lunch-pail, blue-collar defenseman.
I said they have to make a move. Have to! The Chara window is closing and then the Bruins will have to start over on the defensive end. Walsh says we should call the A segment “BOLD MOVES.” Did the Bruins make a bold move, and should the Patriots be bold and sign some big names like Darrelle Revis? Adam Hart says the Patriots can't re-sign Talib for big money because then their best, and highest-paid, defensive and offensive players will be their most injury prone.
6. Morry Levine asks if we were talking about what Ainge said on the Sports Hub. We all yell at him and say if he wasn’t late he would have known that we did.
7. Great final point by Jason Levine for our Rondo segment: If the Celtics were really tanking, they would have suspended Rondo for five games for not flying to Sacramento with the team. I wish they had!
See the results of THE MEETING on Arbella’s Early Edition at 6:30 on CSNNE.