Each day, the Comcast SportsNet staff gathers in the early afternoon to discuss that evening's Arbella Early Edition show. Starting today, Gary Tanguay will post the minutes of that meeting, giving you an idea of what to expect on that night's show, which begins at 6:30 p.m.
DATE: Tuesday March 4, 2014
SITE: CSNNE Conference Room
TOPIC: Arbella Early Edition Content
ATTENDING: Kevin Miller, senior news director; John Zannis, Miller’s right-hand man; Jeff Capotosto, show producer and Man
Who Loves Meat; Jason Levine, senior Web guy; Phil Perry, just a Web guy; Adam Hart, just another Web Guy; Chris Gasper,
Tuesday guest via phone. And featuring . . . Gary Tanguay
1. Cap told Gasper to open up with his thoughts on our Star Trek-shaped, conference room speaker phone. (It does look like something into which Kirk would have yelled, “Beam me up, Scotty!”) Gasper said he was hot on “Tanking in the NBA.” All the tank talk, he said, is driving him crazy, because he claims only three teams -- Philly being one of them -- are truly tanking. The rest all “just suck.”
Really, Chris? This is driving you crazy? I knew one thing: We couldn't lead with this. If we did, Judge Judy would gain more viewers.
2. Cap’s idea is to talk about which of the four GMs is under the most pressure. Not a bad take. Plenty of meat on that bone to chew.
I said we say the Bruins have to make a deal. They're under more pressure than people realize. Like the Patriots have the Brady window, the Bruins have the Chara window and both will close in about two years, if not sooner. You have to deal a Spooner or a Caron or even a Loui Erikkson to get a defenseman. Even if that means overpaying for the D-man.
(Speaking of Eriksson, he was ripped in our meeting. The Bruins said he is a scratch for tonight's game against the Panthers because of “issues.” What issues? This guy ripped it up in the Olympics and he needs to do more here! Tony Amonte, incidentally, says he expects Eriksson to be traded.)
3. Adam Hart then bit into his B-Good grilled chicken sandwich without offering us any. I dropped a hint by saying, ”Hey, that burger looks good.” He quickly corrected me: “It's chicken, Gary.” I think I offended him. But no offer of a bite. Some people are just plain selfish.
4. Cap had an idea for a segment: If you could pick any guy to come to Boston, who would it be? Zannis, however, shot this down -- gently -- with a “Good idea Cap, but . . . ”
5. I'm big on showing love for LeBron! I love this guy. What a player. Gasper and I will discuss LBJ, along with Chris' issue with tanking, in the third segment. It's also known as the C block, towards the end of the show, which is where this tanking topic belongs.
6. Cap and I decided that Clay Buchholz' results from today and Julian Edelman’s future will be part of my Early Look. The Pats have to sign Edelman. They don’t have anybody else, especially if Amendola is cut or traded.
7. Finally, we learned the Qdoba Lunch scheduled for tomorrow was canceled. They were bringing in a Taco bar for us. What a buzz kill! The whole room was devastated. Especially Cap, the man who loves meat. This kid can put down a whole chicken-and-ham at his desk while putting together a show. And he's in shape. People that can eat what they want and not gain weight should be deported!
See the results of THE MEETING on Arbella’s Early Edition at 6:30 on CSNNE.